P43 feed rate maxed, also the dreaded rumble.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ajbass

Apr 12, 2016
CT
Hi, I have a p43 Harmon for 5 seasons. I'm currently using green supreme pellets. why do I have to run auger at max speed. seems to take awhile to heat up room. The ash line seems to be too low in pot. I also get the rumble after cleaning stove. Any ideas? is my auger motor going bad? hanks in advance.

Are you saying that your feed rate is maxed out? Are you in room temp or stove mode? What is your exhaust setup?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Hmmm, you don't happen to know Gordo do you ? Also a first time poster, owned a certain brand for 5 years too.

Reactions: Cory S
Hi, I have a p43 Harmon for 5 seasons. I'm currently using green supreme pellets. why do I have to run auger at max speed. seems to take awhile to heat up room. The ash line seems to be too low in pot. I also get the rumble after cleaning stove. Any ideas? is my auger motor going bad? hanks in advance.
If you run in Room mode try stove mode on a high setting to see if fire gets bigger. Maybe your room probe is faulty and its feeding at a very low rate.

Are you saying that your feed rate is maxed out? Are you in room temp or stove mode? What is your exhaust setup?

I will switch to room mode and try, but I have tried turning room temp on max and feed rate to max. the edge didn't come close to the pots edge.

Hi, exhaust is a 3' straight pipe w/vent cap. currently have auger "6" and stove temp on max and still can't get the ash line close to the burn pot edge.

When was the last time you cleaned the ESP probe? Also check the room temp sensor to make sure it is plugged on all the way.

When was the last time you cleaned the ESP probe? Also check the room temp sensor to make sure it is plugged on all the way.

I have only brushed with an old paint brush. what is the best method of cleaning the probe? sensor plugged in all the way.

I have only brushed with an old paint brush. what is the best method of cleaning the probe? sensor plugged in all the way.
The best way to clean the probe is to remove it and clean with water and wipe dry. Second to that during the season and on say a monthly cleaning it to reach in with a soft bristle bottle brush. Several of us Harman users here in the forum do that. but if your stove is trimming back the burn it sounds to me like the ESP is working.
FwIw, not all pellets under max burn will form an ash line near the edge of the burn pot. Not only that but under various conditions even though you set your dial to max feed the ESP will still trim the feed back automatically when max exhaust temp is met. It's how Harman's work. Who told you you need your ash at the edge of the burn pot ? And is your house being heated ?

To clean your exhaust vent the best method is to run a 3" vent brush through there and push any collected ash out. However be careful of the ESP probe,if it gets bent it most likely be junk. I use a brush rod but just tie a piece of rag to it to clean my horizontal portion of my venting ( my vent runs 23 ft vertically up my chimney once past that section and there I use a brush ).

The best way to clean the probe is to remove it and clean with water and wipe dry. Second to that during the season and on say a monthly cleaning it to reach in with a soft bristle bottle brush. Several of us Harman users here in the forum do that. but if your stove is trimming back the burn it sounds to me like the ESP is working.
FwIw, not all pellets under max burn will form an ash line near the edge of the burn pot. Not only that but under various conditions even though you set your dial to max feed the ESP will still trim the feed back automatically when max exhaust temp is met. It's how Harman's work. Who told you you need your ash at the edge of the burn pot ? And is your house being heated ?

To clean your exhaust vent the best method is to run a 3" vent brush through there and push any collected ash out. However be careful of the ESP probe,if it gets bent it most likely be junk. I use a brush rod but just tie a piece of rag to it to clean my horizontal portion of my venting ( my vent runs 23 ft vertically up my chimney once past that section and there I use a brush ).

The burn pot ash line just seems real low and the stove. The stove appears to be struggling to heat the room like it use to. The ash line has been very low 1" plus below the pot edge while trying to reach a normal room temp aftyer been low while at work. In previous winters, with the auger setting on 4 the pellets would push over the edge. I will try tonight to brush or pull out the esp to clean. I am currently burning green supreme vs greene golds last winter.

How long has it been since you got the Green supreme pellets, did this problem start right after you bought them ?

Secondly, it would be very abnormal for pellets to be pushed off the pot at a feed rate of 4 regardless of pellet brand. That fact alone is an issue if that was occurring.

Has the vent ever been cleaned, has the stove ever had a full and proper cleaning?

Last edited:
How long has it been since you got the Green supreme pellets, did this problem start right after your bought them ?

Secondly, it would be very abnormal for pellets to be pushed off the pot at a feed rate of 4 regardless of pellet brand. That fact alone is an issue if that was occurring.

With the Greene golds the feed rate was set to just over 3. I started to notice issues when we had a stretch of 0 degree weather.

Has the vent ever been cleaned, has the stove ever had a full and proper cleaning?
How long has it been since you got the Green supreme pellets, did this problem start right after your bought them ?

I do a full cleaning quite often, at least twice a ton.

With all controls on full room/stove, I don't get a full burn pot.

The vent is only a 3' straight pipe with cap.

Some pellets produce a lot of heavy ash, especially when running on low burn all day. My P61 can't get the ash line even close to the end of the pot running those types of pellets (such as ThermaGlos or Curran's blend from a couple of years ago). Better pellets don't produce this issue (Cubex, Platinums, Okies, PTL's or FSU's run fine). I haven't run GS, so don't know what their ash is like. Additionally, the ThermaGlo's that I am running are very cold - even with a strong flame the airstream doesn't get very hot. I can magically change that just by pouring a different brand in the hopper - I can pretty much tell the instant that the other brand hits. I have resorted to mixing the TG's with other pellets to keep the ash lighter and airstream warmer.

This may or may not be the issue, just my 2 cents.

Reactions: alternativeheat
Green Supreme's are not known to be an overly hot pellet, FWIW. I've run them in my p61 in shoulder season in the past but I wouldn't really want them for mid winter using the stove as my main heat source. They also are in line with other box store ashy pellets of the moderate level, not the worst I've had but certainly not the best. I burned some this past winter mixed with oil burner heat in the house and as I said, also in shoulder season.

I'm not one to worry much about where the ash line forms, that is so pellet brand dependent and also weather dependent in the terms of if the stove has to crank up to make heat or if it's constantly going into low burn. There is nothing that says the burn pot has to be full and the pellets ready to fall off into the ash pan. But the OP has been running this stove for 5 years he says ? You would think this wouldn't be the first time he has seen this phenomenon.

Reactions: bogieb
The OP could try a known "hot" brand to see if it is just the pellets. What other brands were used prior to the Green Supremes? I have been mixing pellets with the Spruce Pointes to clean out my old stock ... just finished up.

Reactions: bogieb
Certain brands have a certain burn rate that seems to cause the V1 buzz. I had a brand that I could cause the pulse flame at will. Seems to be pellets with a higher ash.

Also, regardless if the vent is 3" and just straight out, it has to be cleaned ! Generally with a P series Harman that would happen somewhere around every ton or maybe two in the case of clean low ash pellets. My 4" vertical vent can go two tons with nominally ashy pellets. The horizontal portion will get a hump of ash right before attaching into the vertical T around 1-1/4 tons with ashy pellets. So yeah, by two tons it all needs doing for sure. The whole forward horizontal channel in the stove stays pretty clean even though the ash pan area is a mess with ash. Every two weeks I clean out the cavity the igniter sits in and monthly I clean out the fines box.

The OP could try a known "hot" brand to see if it is just the pellets. What other brands were used prior to the Green Supremes? I have been mixing pellets with the Spruce Pointes to clean out my old stock ... just finished up.
Have you been happy with the Spruce Pointes ? I've used them in the past and thought they were decent on ash and quite hot but they never gave on price this season , they want crazy money for them here. LG Granules are a good $80 a ton less than Spruce Pointe here. Silly, similar product IMO..

I don't know where the OP lives or what he has available for pellets there but I would think either of those two brands would perform well for him as a test. FSU are a good hot pellet out here in the east as well .

Edit: I see he is from somewhere in Connecticut.

Last edited:
Spruce Pointes have been good but never excessively challenged this winter for heat ... milder winter in comparison to our usual. As to cost, they were $7/bag preordered in the Fall but we are a very captive audience in our area. The competitor, who I favour on most purchases, was selling Indecks for $7.50/bag (less heat, more ash). Canadian Tire had a good supply of Okanagan Platinum $6/bag for most of the winter but that is a rarity. They had a very slow start of supply in the Fall and have been hit/miss in previous years. They also carried Cannawick and have recently got in Eagle Valley. Thinking I should try some of the Eagle Valley ones... heard they were a decent pellet too. Wal-Mart had Woody's $6/bag ... from my understanding, the worst of the worst and a waste of money at any price:eek:

Reactions: alternativeheat
With pellet feed rate at max, stove or room temp at max, I get a low flame in burn pot. I just replaced the ESP and I'm using Green supreme pellets. In the past, if I set feed rate on 4, the pellets would burn to the edge.

Update: Stove has always been cleaned often and feed rate is set to max. I have changed the ESP and still feel low heat output. I have 3 bags left of the green supreme and then I will switch to Hamer Hot Ones!

With pellet feed rate at max, stove or room temp at max, I get a low flame in burn pot. I just replaced the ESP and I'm using Green supreme pellets. In the past, if I set feed rate on 4, the pellets would burn to the edge.

Update: Stove has always been cleaned often and feed rate is set to max. I have changed the ESP and still feel low heat output. I have 3 bags left of the green supreme and then I will switch to Hamer Hot Ones!
If you have everything about the stove maxed out and all you get is low flame and low heat, you have something else going on besides pellets. GS are not the best pellets for heat but they aren't that bad, I mean I can heat my house with them with average settings, the stove just compensates in Room Temp Mode is all !

You could have a bad room temp probe. Another thought is the dip switches on the board and which .ESP you put in. At least for the P61 (p43 should be similar) there are two different ESP s, one with red wirtes and one with black, they each require dip switches set right which could mean a change .

A simple test for the Room probe is to switch to Stove Temp mode and see if you can stir up a fire that way.

Thanks for the reply's.
My stove is a 2011 model and ESP probe has the red wires (I wanted to change probe before switching to new pellets). Room temp on max burns the same as stove temp on max. When the stove first starts, it seems to be firing well, then the burn seems to dwindle. I have a meat probe on the exhaust and after first fire temp will avg 350 to 365. While the room is still screaming for heat (stove maxed) the temp will drop below 300 to 275. To me, prior to burning cheaper priced pellets, the feed rate is set to 4 would almost push pellets to the edge of burn pot. I'm hoping the Hamers will make a difference.

If you run the stove in Stove Temp mode, feed rate 4, and turn it all the way up you should have a rip roaring flame. If you don't, something is still wrong. I seem to remember someone with this issue a couple of years ago here but I can't remember. Keep us informed after different pellets.