P61A ESP Probe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Zcamper

Dec 11, 2014
If it's not one thing it's another with this stove, we have a love hate relationship and I feel like it's a labor of love.

That being said, last week my stove decided it was going to turn it's self off turned it back on then turned it's self back off a couple hours later. I turned her off checked to make sure the seals were good and I cleaned the ESP Probe it was quite filthy, not a huge fan of the New Englands I'm burning this yea they seem quite dirty but i digress.

This bring me to today. I noticed the flame was getting lazy I saw the status light was blinking 3 times. I turned the stove off unplugged it turned the stove back on, no more blinking light stove was running okay. I left the house all day came home the house was cold figured the stove ran out of pellets. Nope just turned off with the hopper half full. I took the ESP Probe out and cleaned it was dirty not that dirty. However now that the stove is back on it has an incredibly lazy flame.

Should I replace the ESP Probe? Could it be something else? The stove came with the house and I have replaced the motors that have gone bad and always clean it well. From what I've seen in the stove it's about 15 years young. Do ESP probes fail over a period of time or do they just work or don't and no in-between?

Thanks!

Sounds to me like you need to do a deep cleaning that includes the exhaust and OAK if equipped. I would do that before anything else.

Reactions: bags and railfanron
X3 deep clean intake and exhaust, check door gaskets, & yes ESP does fail over time. Not sure if it would cause a lazy flame though. I keep one in stock as back up..

What is already mentioned. Good clean including fines box, igniter compartment under the burn pot too. Not just because of poor ignitions when jammed full of crud and ash but also restricted airflow. Sounds more like an air problem to me. Could very well be cause by worn out door rope gaskets. But the erratic off and on stuff could also very well be the ESP.

Start with the the simple & cheap or free first. Clean everything including two areas often missed I mentioned (fines box & igniter compartment) and give the exhaust a look over at minimum to be sure there are no obstructions or blockage. Check the door seals on both firebox door and ash pan door. Look up the dollar bill test or Google that. Door seals and gasket cement kits are cheap $9-$10 bucks at a local Tractor Supply etc; Then I'd be looking at the ESP in short order. It's also always good to have an extra ESP in stock at home. Not a very expensive part but not as cheap as a clean etc;

Thanks for the responses everyone, I will clean the vents when I get home, I just emptied the fines last week and there wasn't all that much in there then after not having done it all season but I will check it again. I looked at my gaskets this morning, they seemed to be okay, but I will look. Does anyone have a good resource for learning how to change the gaskets?

So the update, I took everyone's advice and deep cleaned everything. Nothing changed still didn't work right lazy flame. Checked all the seals dollar bill test everything check out.

However it does turn out that everyone was right about the air leak. Turns out the auger walked out of its bolts. When i shifted the stove I heard it move around. I can't image how they loosened.

Reactions: bags
You didn't mention cleaning the igniter compartment, it's the compartment that has two wing nuts on it and you slide off a hatch covering it. It's on the front underside of the burn pot above the ash bin. This is the most usual place to look on my stove when the flame gets a bit funky ( I clean it before it gets lazy).

With those pellets you mention I'd probably clean the stove weekly and the vent every 5-6 weeks or so depending on the vent configuration... And scrape the burn pot several times in 24 hours.

You didn't mention cleaning the igniter compartment, it's the compartment that has two wing nuts on it and you slide off a hatch covering it. It's on the front underside of the burn pot above the ash bin. This is the most usual place to look on my stove when the flame gets a bit funky ( I clean it before it gets lazy).

With those pellets you mention I'd probably clean the stove weekly and the vent every 5-6 weeks or so depending on the vent configuration... And scrape the burn pot several times in 24 hours.

I forgot to mention that I did clean in there too, im usually pretty good about cleaning the stove and have never had any flame issues until now with the flame getting lazy, still unsure how the auger got loose.

Not a fan of the New Englands? The last couple of years I have liked them, however this year I am hesitant to get them again for next year they were really dirty this year and created a lot of buildup in my burn pot which I have no had the last two years I used them. I have not really found anything in my area that really makes me go "WOW I like those" Luckily my stove is a champ and will pretty much burn through anything I put in there no problem but.

I forgot to mention that I did clean in there too, im usually pretty good about cleaning the stove and have never had any flame issues until now with the flame getting lazy, still unsure how the auger got loose.

Not a fan of the New Englands? The last couple of years I have liked them, however this year I am hesitant to get them again for next year they were really dirty this year and created a lot of buildup in my burn pot which I have no had the last two years I used them. I have not really found anything in my area that really makes me go "WOW I like those" Luckily my stove is a champ and will pretty much burn through anything I put in there no problem but.
Well if you had a loose auger that may have added to the bad burn before now. Maybe it started out a little loose and worsened as the year went on.

I have no idea how it got loose.

So the update, I took everyone's advice and deep cleaned everything. Nothing changed still didn't work right lazy flame. Checked all the seals dollar bill test everything check out.

However it does turn out that everyone was right about the air leak. Turns out the auger walked out of its bolts. When i shifted the stove I heard it move around. I can't image how they loosened.

Maybe they never were snugged completely from the factory. Stuff happens..... Then after use maybe just the vibes helped them roll a bit. Is it doing better after you tightened them up? Maybe go grab a different bag of pellets and run those to rule out good/bad pellets.

Maybe they never were snugged completely from the factory. Stuff happens..... Then after use maybe just the vibes helped them roll a bit. Is it doing better after you tightened them up? Maybe go grab a different bag of pellets and run those to rule out good/bad pellets.

As soon as I tightened those bad boy down it worked without a hitch. It was quite loose, not even sure how it was feeding to be honest. Either way shes working now, or was last night now shes off because of this heat wave. I did order replacement gaskets which I should have tomorrow and plan to put on because I know they have been done in at least four years (as long as I have owned the stove that came with the house) and it just barely passed the dollar bill test.

My P68 is about due for new gaskets or at least the firebox door. Ash pan door is good. I have mine but haven't had the time or it's been too cold.