P61A Igniter problem..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Tonyray

Minister of Fire
came down stairs this morning and stove was off.. like no light or anything.
checked the fuse and it was blown...
put in a new fuse, ran the test and all seemed ok.. till,
tonite I kicked off the stove and the pellets we';re filling up the burnpot, the igniter light was on, but pellets we're over filling the burnpot.
no sparks or ignition..

I had replaced the original igniter couple months ago..appears this one took a dive.
the igniter i bought back then was an exact harman replacement right down to the wire lenght..
the only thing i didn't like was the original igniter had a thick piece of insulation wrap about 3-4" from the end of the igniter, wrapping the 2 lead wires.. the replacement didn't have the wrap.
haven't checked the replacement yet to see if that cause a problem.
anyways,
anyone here recommend a web site that you bought an igniter from that has lasted quite a long time for a Harman P series...

thanks but doesn't give any specs or description of the igniter like wire lenght, amp draw, etc.
the one i bought couple months ago claimed exact harman specs right down to wire size and all.
either way, fuse blew and i assume igniter did that as everything seems to work, dist/combust blowe, auger etc since i put new fuse in.
except igniter won;t light even though light is on at panel box so i assume igniter is toast.
jusy don't know why it blew...

thanks but doesn't give any specs or description of the igniter like wire lenght, amp draw, etc.
the one i bought couple months ago claimed exact harman specs right down to wire size and all.
either way, fuse blew and i assume igniter did that as everything seems to work, dist/combust blowe, auger etc since i put new fuse in.
except igniter won;t light even though light is on at panel box so i assume igniter is toast.
jusy don't know why it blew...

Well, I don't think the wire length matters, since there is enough wire to run from the rear of the unit into the igniter cavity.
Once the spade connections are positively attached, the excess gets pulled thru & into the rear compartment again.
I have installed these igniters in my P43 & my P61A & they have BOTH held up for OVER 5 years, & that's longer than the OEM igniters lasted.

Well, I don't think the wire length matters, since there is enough wire to run from the rear of the unit into the igniter cavity.
Once the spade connections are positively attached, the excess gets pulled thru & into the rear compartment again.
I have installed these igniters in my P43 & my P61A & they have BOTH held up for OVER 5 years, & that's longer than the OEM igniters lasted.

yes.. you are correct about wire length not mattering.
I just liked that there was a good description of the igniter specks being exact to harman.

mine only last couple months..USA made.. not china like some that are sold.
think i got it from energy star or similar that deals in pellet stove parts...
either way, shouldn't have blown so we'll see what happens with next one.
thank you for the link.

MISSINFORMATION HERE:
Just remembered the stove was in room/manual mode last night so the igniter would not have been used..
soooooooo,
fuse blown and igniter not lighting pellets BUT igniter red light is on at panel.
everything else works. all lights lit at panel.
dist blower, comb blower, auger working.

Last edited: