P68 Burn Pots holes close to auger

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I have a 2008 P68 pellet stove. I am wondering how many air holes I should have in my burn pot. I have a line of 5 holes very close to the auger along with many more holes further up the burnpot. I asked Harman if I should have those 5 holes and they stated "my burn pot should look exactly like the depiction on page 17 of the manual" and if not change it. That depiction is not very well detailed, but it doesn't show any holes near the auger. So I am asking the experts on this forum....should i expect to see those 5 holes near the auger. Ive read where the 5 holes are thought to cause early auger failure because the flame is to close to the auger. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I dont think Harman cares enough to answer further.....theyve already got there money!

There are a number of older threads regarding this issue. If I recall correctly, Harman removed those bottom holes on later models. I had those bottom 5 holes welded shut on my P38. There was never any problem with the auger - I did it as a precaution. It made no difference in the performance of the stove (which is great BTW).

I'd bet closing up the 5 holes will prolong the auger tip life. My P68 has an eroded auger, and when its brought back into service again they will be welded close along with a fixed or new auger.