P68 harmon won't shut down

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When you say it won't shut down, do mean when you turn the room/stove temp knob to off, it keeps feeding pellets and continues to burn, or do mean the fire goes out and the fans only continue to run for 8 hours?

If it continues to feed and burn as normal, I would think that the mode selector switch is bad or the controller itself. In either case if it is under warranty, have your dealer check the controller card or replace it. If the problem is in the logic of the controller card, this would be a saftey hazzard as it may not shut down during other situations that would normally call for the stove to shut itself off.

[UPDATE]
A couple things you can try if you haven't already would be:
1. With the stove off and cool, unplug the power cord and after a few seconds plug it back in to do a reset.
2. When it doesn't shut off, try turning the mode selecter switch around to the other mode and then back to off. Maybe even move it back-and-forth around the off position. Even if that works, I am only suggesting as a temporary way to try and get it to shut off if the switch is bad.

My accentra insert did that a month ago. I turned the knob to off but it kept running and feeding pellets like it was on low burn until I unplugged the stove. ? I might have confused the control board switching from room thermostat to stove temp.

If the stove is in shut down mode (status light will be off) and it just goes to minimum burn rate and stays there, that is usually a bad ESP.
The ESP is not reading a low enough exhaust temp for the stove to shut off.

ESP= Exhaust Sensing Probe. It is a small thermister that is installed in the exhaust on the stove just inboard of where the vent pipe connects. It tells the circuit board what temp the stove is running at. If it is malfunctioning and not telling the circuit board thet the stove has gone below the low limit temp for shut down the stove will run continually and not shut off.
A bad probe can also cause over feed or under feed (low heat output). It can also cause higher than normal fuel consumption.
The good news is it is a fairly inexpensive part ($35-$45). If it turns out that the ESP is not at fault, you noe have a spare, and eventually you will need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.