Pacific Energy 2.5 Neo - Input before ordering?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

joefrompa

Minister of Fire
Sep 7, 2010
SE PA
Hi all:

I posted about a month ago considering free standing wood burning stoves in SE PA for a new home my wife and I are building. The home will be ~3,800 square feet, tight and well insulated, and the first floor is almost entirely open concept and ~2100 square feet. We want a stove that will heat the first floor nicely and reduce heating costs (though I'm considering geothermal...), super easy to operate, low maintenance, great viewing, modern design, and burns modest wood (i.e. not a ~3.5-4.0 cf firebox)

We've narrowed it down and I believe will be proceeding with a pacific energy 2.5 neo with possibly ivory sides as part of a modern aesthetic. This will go into a black double wall chimney pipe that goes into the ceiling (straight up), then a 30 degree bend, then straight up through the roof. Total chimney height will be ~25' and the chimney is deliberately being built inside the building envelope, so I'm PRAYING for a good draft experience since my current setup is an exterior masonry chimney on a short run that gives me chronic draft issues. Lastly, with a double wall pipe I should be able to get this within 5" of the back wall which is really nice.

I should be able to apply the tax credit to the stove, chimney, chimney building enclosure, caps, and even anything I build the stove on...that's my understanding.

Any thoughts, recommendations, or contrary experiences before we finalize this plan? Also, can anyone give pricing experience on the chimney (double wall, one ceiling box, one 30 degree bend, and the chimney cap) over 25'? The quote I'm getting seems....excessive.

Thanks all!
Joe

should be able to apply the tax credit to the stove, chimney, chimney building enclosure, caps, and even anything I build the stove on...that's my understanding.
The threshold for qualification for the tax credit is 75% HHV. This stove is listed as being 72% efficient.

Chimney installation prices will vary with the complexity of the job and the quality of materials.

Argh, they specifically put a stamp all over their website saying EPA qualified and in one place highlight a higher efficiency than 75% but it's not HHV.

Back to the drawing board then!