Pacific Energy Summit LE Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

commguy35

Apr 21, 2022
CT
I am looking for advice before I pull the trigger on a new wood stove insert, and the one I landed on recommended by a local dealer is the Pacific Energy Summit LE insert. Installed is mid $5k, which is way more than I was looking to spend but it seems the going rate for inserts these days, the next closest in cost was the Regency.

Moved in to a house in CT, 3000 sq ft, 2 floors (1500sq ft/floor), high ceilings. The insert would be on the first floor and I'm hoping keeping the house hot 24x7 would help heat upstairs as well, somehow. I am used to a wood boiler burning 24x7, but the new house has a normal fireplace, which we know is not used for heating. I am big in to wood burning, and looking to avoid the $6-700 a month oil costs during winter.

I do not know anything about inserts, never had one but looking to know if the PE Summit is a good choice or if I should be aware of anything or look to another dealer for another brand, for similar cost.

There's not too many reviews out there I can see but the ones I have read I have seen people complaining about the PE Summit insert having smoke come in to the house, and not heating well.

Looking for some advice, anyone have this insert and happy or upset with it?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
There are lots of users here with Summit inserts. The first I think was @Hogwildz back in 2008. Did you check out the ratings section?
The Summit is a robust heater and easy to service. It should do the job well as long as the firewood is fully seasoned. Smoke spillage is often due to too short of a chimney, or the fireplace is in a negative pressure zone, like a basement. It's not a common issue with this insert.

Welcome to the Forums!

I have the baby brother of the Summit, and I love it. A smaller firebox, but I get 6-8 hours of burn time, and another hour or two of heat output in a 2000 sf house.

Depending where you are in CT, a bigger box might be a better fit.

My daughter is in Burlington, CT, and runs a Regency 2500 cat in a 2000 sf house, and has no problems what so ever.

I'll second the seasoned firewood, it's a must!

I think @heavy hammer has a PE insert that has been ran for 3+ years

Thank you all very much for the information. I did take a look at the ratings, thanks for sharing.

Chimney length is about 30' and I asked about excessive draft but the dealer is not concerned about that.

I was also looking at Regency but the PE is more affordable.

About the advice to burn seasoned firewood - isn't that always a solid requirement for any wood stove inserts or do some handle less seasoned wood better than others?

Chimney length is about 30' and I asked about excessive draft but the dealer is not concerned about that.
Of course not. It's not their problem if the draft is too strong.

Reactions: Dix
About the advice to burn seasoned firewood - isn't that always a solid requirement for any wood stove inserts or do some handle less seasoned wood better than others?
I dont think anyone has figured out how to burn water yet, at least cleanly

Of course not. It's not their problem if the draft is too strong.
I can't tell if that's sarcasm? I saw some threads about this because of tall chimneys and people having to install a damper, but that it's difficult to do with an insert. I'm also not sure what the excessive draft impact is, I understand it is just going to burn wood faster than expected.

So, I asked the dealer if we should have one installed with the PE Summit and 30' chimney. I certainly would not be capable of installing a damper.

It surely can be a problem. Burning faster, means burning hotter. Risk of overfiring increases.

Can you fit a free standing stove in the FP, and have access to a damper if needed?

Just a thought.

And yes, Kenny was being sarcastic ;)

• Haha
Reactions: kennyp2339
I can't tell if that's sarcasm? I saw some threads about this because of tall chimneys and people having to install a damper, but that it's difficult to do with an insert. I'm also not sure what the excessive draft impact is, I understand it is just going to burn wood faster than expected.

So, I asked the dealer if we should have one installed with the PE Summit and 30' chimney. I certainly would not be capable of installing a damper.
I have an insert with a damper. I chose not to install the surround so I have access. There is a thread on the forum where a member extended the damper control through the surround with a socket set U joint. It’s not a huge job to install took me 10 minutes, but connecting through the surround would be much more of a job. And to be clear. When we say seasoned we mean moisture content of 20% or lower not just cut and split last year.

Some dealers seem more focused on the sale than on what happens afterward. 30' is a tall liner. Some manuals specifically call this situation out. So yes, I guess I am guilty of being a bit sarcastic about the dealer's feigned dismissal of a common issue.

The Summit is a very capable heater. Of course many factors play a part, home set up, openness or lack of, ceiling fans, good dry wood etc.
At 30' you will most likely have a strong draft. At 27' with double wall insulated, down to flex through the old smoke shelf, mine draws hard. I have no damper, but have thought about it over the years. I compensate with larger splits, less air pockets when loading.

I am heating 2666 sf well open floor plan with high ceilings and loft. I am lucky a very good natural convection loop exists to circulate the heated air throughout the home. I use a ceiling fan on the cathedral ceiling in the stove room, and that's about it. I have one room at the furthest point, my office that has one door opening and does not get great heat distribution through it. I use a small space heater in there while I am in there.

Your 1500 will surely get cooking if that's your desire. If it is all boxed rooms with little flow, you may have to use smaller loads, or a smaller insert.

When I purchased mine in 2006 the Summit cost $2,157.16 for standard with black door. The liner set up was about another $1,000.00 then. I installed it myself so labor was nil.

$5,000.00 for new insert & liner installed is a good price. Make sure they install a block off plate in the old fireplace damper area to close off the area and keep the heated air in the home. Insist on this! If they won't do it, find someone who will, or DIY. Don't accept stuffing some batt insulation up there either. Batt insulation does not stop air flow.

Ask them to in detail, spell out the parts & what the labor involves, so you know exactly what your are paying for, and what they are going to do. Enjoy

I agree with hogwildz, a great stove a lot of heat for that size. I installed mine as well. $2600 for the stove $1000 for the pipe 6 years ago. Very happy with the stove, easy to operate and dial in.

I doubt you will be disappointed.

Congrats !!!

Reactions: stoveliker