Paint curing smell still after 20+ burns?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

chrisburns

Jan 15, 2024
Maryland
Hi everyone, newb here! Having fun w my new Quadra Fire Expedition II. Too much fun if you ask my wife :)

I been burning almost every day. I was told the paint curing smell would be done after the first burn, mayyybe 2,

So I sent the wife & kids to grandmas house the first night & just RAGED it from 6pm almost til morning, like real hot. It was glorious. Smelled like a donkeys ass covered w/ burnt paint, but glorious. And I thought I was done. Surely the raging inferno cured the paint, right?

Wrong. Next day, same smell. Not as bad. Whatever, that's the last time, I thought. And it was for a while.

But since then I've noticed that smell come back a few times. It always happens when the stove is HOT. But it's random, doesn't happen every time I get it hot. So it's hard to predict. But it makes the air quality monitor go crazy & my wife cusses me every time it happens.

Is it not fully cured after 20+ hot ass burns? Or what's the deal here?

Thanks in advance for any advice 🙏

-ChrisBurns

How are you measuring temperatures? Typically the manufacturer recommends several break in fires of higher temps each time to properly cure the paint. For example first fire to stt (stove top temperature) of 400, let it go out & cool, then stt to 500, cool, then stt to 600... Each new high temperature will give the burning paint smell. Not sure of potential ramifications of trying to do it all at once? Maybe trapping the smell in the layers of paint taking longer to get rid of it completely...?

What happens when your burns are lower temps? As said the new high temp will give you some smell. Give it sometime it should clear up.