"Pancakes" on the Missouri river

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Grizzerbear

Minister of Fire
Feb 12, 2019
SW Missoura

I saw this on the local weather station and thought I would share. Y'all northerners probably see this a lot but I had never even heard of it. I just assumed it was ice. Pretty cool how it forms and rarely seen down here.

Avrever in Maine has had a large rotating ice disc the past couple of winters. The rotation makes it round.

We crossed the Missouri River yesterday in St. Charles, and it was loaded with ice floes, you could almost walk across it. I don't think they were pancakes though. It's low, we need rain. Seeing this post got me to thinking about rare winter occurrences, how about frost quakes? I'm sure that's also a northern thing. We had them back in 2014, I never heard of them either. It's when the ground water freezes so fast it will literally boom and pop, you can hear and feel it. I remember sitting in the house and hearing this, and thinking something like sticks were hitting the house. I went outside to check it out and found nothing unusual.

I found this article on it, the funny thing is I know Chuck Herron mentioned in the article.

Yup! Around Valentine's Day 2015 was really cold. Temperature that weekend was minus teens here west of Boston. I was up in the attic with a flashlight.

Almost asleep. BOOM! Almost asleep. BOOM! Almost asleep. BOOM!

All night long. Cats not happy. :)

Also supposedly different building materials in the house, rafters, roof and so on, contracting at different rates in the cold, building up stress, and releasing it all at once. Very unnerving the first time it happens.

Hell, very unnerving the second and third time, too. :)

An article I bookmarked at the time ...

Frost quakes blamed for heart-stopping noises heard across New England (wcvb.com)

Reactions: Grizzerbear