Papa Bear Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mountaineer 2

Nov 10, 2023
Elk Creek VA
I am trying to sell my fisher stove and advertised it as a Papa Bear. I had someone who was very interested come and tell me it wasn’t a papa but was a mama bear. The measurement across the top is 20”. The measurement front to back including the front shelf to the back leg is 38-1/2”. The vent pipe then sticks out an 1-1/2”. The inside measurement is 30”. I want to be sure I’m advertising it correctly so what stove is it?

IMG_7501.jpeg IMG_0889.jpeg IMG_0888.jpeg

Papa Bear. (I’m guessing 1976 since it has the stainless springs and 4 fin caps that became scarce in 1977) springs then changed to a course wound nickel plated steel, and 5 fin intake dampers.

Mama and Papa used the same door. Mama is just wide enough to fit the door across front and the door side edges come right up to the angle iron corners.

Papa is wider, so using the same door you will notice a space from door to angle iron where you can see some of the front face sheet show on each side.

Now that you know this trick you can identify the difference in a front pic very easily.

The difference between Grandma and Grandpa is recognizable by the distance between trees at the center of the two doors. Grandma trees are very close to door edges, almost touching and Grandpa had a wide space between trees.

When you have the actual stoves in front of you the size difference is huge. In pics, those simple differences make them identifiable.