PE Alderlea T5 gasket replacement questions??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TrevorGage

Mar 2, 2020
United states
Our door gasket for the Alderlea T5 finally failed and needs replacing. Our local retailer where we bought the stove sold us a piece of new gasket, but it's not PE brand and won't fit in the rounded channel on the door (it's a flat gasket). My spouse thinks it's fine and we can just make it work, but reading here and online, it seems to me it's critical to have the PE gasket. I'm reading about doors being too loose or too tight, and improper gaskets changing the burn times/way the stove operates. Is that true, or can other gaskets be made to work? Also, with the PE gasket, is it self stick or does it require additional cement?

I had a similar experience. Take it back. Insist on the PE OEM gasket. It will need adhesive. Use RTV silicone.
PS: how old is this T5 and how did the gasket fail?

Hey I’m replacing my T5 door gasket for the 3rd time and I’m looking for some tips to make it stay on longer. My last one only lasted a season.
What should I clean the gasket channel with? Is there a better gasket cement I should use to help it bond ?
many tips and tricks would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Chris

The door gasket should only be replaced with the PE OEM gasket. Aftermarket gaskets seal poorly on this stove. It should last several years.

Clean the channel completely using a narrow screwdriver to break free stubborn chunks of old adhesive, follow with a wire brush, then an alcohol wipe. When putting in the new gasket, lay it in the channel gently, with no stretching, then cut to length + a 1/4" extra (the end will fuzz a little) Use a good RTV (black or red is fine) to adhere the new gasket. Put down a continuous bead about 1/4" thick. You want enough to bond well to the backside of the gasket, but without a lot of ooze. Gently bed the new gasket in the RTV without stretching. Cover the door opening with a sheet of newspaper and close the door on it to seat the gasket and let it sit overnight for the RTV to set up.

Reactions: Iyoupe and Highbeam
As bg says but I use a wire wheel on my drill and it cleans the channel nicely.wear a mask

300792.jpg

Reactions: Iyoupe