Pellet Bag More Sawdust than Pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

UpStateNY

Feeling the Heat
May 4, 2008
Catskill Mountains
I purchased 3 bags of FSUs. The first bag was ok. I just opened the second bag and it was 50% sawdust.

Anyone else ever experience a bag of sawdust?

I have had a pellet stove since 2008 and I have never seen this before. I will be taking the bag of FSU sawdust back to HD to get my money back.

I purchased 3 bags of FSUs. The first bag was ok. I just opened the second bag and it was 50% sawdust.

I have had a pellet stove since 2008 and I have never seen this before. I will be taking the bag of FSU sawdust back to HD to get my money back.

Sounds like it got wet?

Probably moisture got inside the bag . Today I returned a bag of firesides that was like that

Had the same thing happen to me at the HD on Central Ave. in Albany. I suspect the pallet the salesperson pulled them from had been opened prior to me getting there. I refused 2 bags right off the bat because I could feel the sawdust. I bought 10 bags, and 8 of the bags had moisture on the outside..pellets inside seemed OK, but yeah, I agree that this is most likely a moisture issue caused by outside storage and compromised protection from the rain.

thanks. Me learned something today.

In the dead of winter (or at least below freezing) those wet bags of sawdust turn into bricks. You could peel off the plastic and use them for driveway pavers.... don't ask how I know....lol

Status
Not open for further replies.