pellet BBQ

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried to burn some pellets for the heck of it in a BBQ tonight and they did not burn well at all but it was just a small portable grill.

I`ve about had it with all grilles (lower cost ones) except the George Forman electric .
The gas and charcoal ones just flare up too much and lack precise heat control and simply corrode and rust out after a couple years.The most I ever paid was $139 for a grille.
My Geo Forman grill @ $69 eliminates the above problems , and is safer and cleans up like new after each use. I can even take the grille off the pedestal and use it indoors with no feat of carbon monoxide or smoke. I think it`s like 17" rd and holds maybe 8 burgers at once. Mostly cast aluminum and some (plastic) trim
My steaks/burgers and veggies cook so nice and always have grille hash marks scored into them and thus looking so much more palatable than dried up old scorched food from a charcoal or gas grille.
I did some research and found that the type of fuel a grill uses does little to influence the taste of the item cooked and I have to agree with that.
But with regards to a pellet grill, it would appear to me that it`s in a class worse than a briquet type.
That said I really know nothing about them. Hopefully someone will enlighten us ignorant folks?

DiggerJim said:
Gio said:
I`ve about had it with all grilles (lower cost ones)
Traeger grills aren't in the "lower cost" category. Check them out here: http://www.traegergrills.com/

But for a really outstanding grill (& smoker) check out a Big Green Egg (biggreenegg.com). And the wood does affect the flavor (lump charcoal vs. Kingsford type of charcoal briquets).[/quote

Heh,heh,
Jim , $469 for the Traeger is almost as much as I paid for my GE Kitchen range. Admittedly I`m a bit frugal.
Sometimes I even use my little cast iron Hibachi.
I got to check out that Big Green Egg.

Gio said:
The most I ever paid was $139 for a grille.

So what did you expect for $139??? :lol:

I bought a Weber Silver 6 yrs ago, have it covered but it stays outside all year, and there isn't a speck of rust on anything but a little on the gas tubes, and I haven't had to replace anything.......you get what you pay for, as my father always told me.

We can't blame Gio for not wanting to spend alot for a grill, everything is just a matter of personal value, some really like grills, some don't. I also have a Weber Silver and paid well for it, but am intending on replacing it with a Treager, food cooked over hardwood is unbeatable. Pellet grills are a bit more expensive to operate than an LP, but it is worth it, because you can SLOW SMOKE or COOK. But beware that you MUST use special hardwood pellets, any regular pellet will not make food worth eating. Treager sells pellets in a wide variety of flavors, in a 20lb bag and they run about 12-15$ per bag

I haven't purchased a grill in 20+ years. I am the guy that picks up the ones left by the curb with a "free" sign on them. I cannibalize the pieces to end up with a working beast.

The burners are usually the death of a grill. I found one old one with a cast iron burner, cleaned it up and have moved that burner 3 times into my "new unit". Those d*#@ grills that barely warm up p*%# me off. There is enough propane under them to blow up a city block. By the time I am done boring and stroking these babies they roar, the sides will glow at night and a 6 minute steak is the rule. ( However I burn/warp the bodies )

I can't wait for these new fangeled stainless jobs to land beside the road!!

lecomte38 said:
I can't wait for these new fangeled stainless jobs to land beside the road!!

:lol: You're not getting mine!!!! The stainless will help it last a LONG time. :lol:

Gio said:
Jim , $469 for the Traeger is almost as much as I paid for my GE Kitchen range. Admittedly I`m a bit frugal.
Sometimes I even use my little cast iron Hibachi.
I got to check out that Big Green Egg.
You ought to see the high-end Traegers, some of them are over $2,500 :) The pig is cool & can cook a boatload of food. The Big Green Egg is expensive but will be the last grill you every buy - the ceramic will last forever.

I have had a Traeger BBQ75 for over 5 years and use it at least 2 times a week in the dead of winter and 2-3 times a week during the summer. I paid about $990.00 for it and if it quit tomorrow I would go right out and buy a new one...I don't think I can honestly say that about anything else I own.

Once you cook an a Pellet smoker whether it be a brisket, pig butt or just a burger you will be hooked...200 pounds of pellets last me 1 full year.. I do have the digital thermostat in fine and works flawlessly..

"You get what you pay for..no matter what it is...

Hope this answers your question.
Catfishjack

Catfishjack said:
I have had a Traeger BBQ75 for over 5 years and use it at least 2 times a week in the dead of winter and 2-3 times a week during the summer. I paid about $990.00 for it and if it quit tomorrow I would go right out and buy a new one...I don't think I can honestly say that about anything else I own.

Once you cook an a Pellet smoker whether it be a brisket, pig butt or just a burger you will be hooked...200 pounds of pellets last me 1 full year.. I do have the digital thermostat in fine and works flawlessly..

"You get what you pay for..no matter what it is...

Hope this answers your question.
Catfishjack

Hahaha. You mean to tell us you think everyone needs to spend $990.00 to get a good barbequed meal?
Regarding getting what you pay for I don`t see much logic in spending $990.00 to smoke a pigs butt.
What I do see in a reason why PT Barnum`s created his famous quote.

Gio said:
.........I don`t see much logic in spending $990.00 to smoke a pigs butt.
What I do see in a reason why PT Barnum`s created his famous quote.

Too funny :lol:

Ahhh a sucker..yes indeed..
Well, our lives are generally a summation of the choices we have made....To each his own...Be it good or bad...
I like my Traeger but the again I like my JAG too...Sorry no fool here...

Tragers are great smokers but they need some TLC. If not used for extended periods you need to be sure to run all pellets out of the hopper/auger or outdoor moisture will degrade the pellets and cause the whole mess to seize the auger. Like running your pellet stove outdoors. I have both a Trager grill and Big Green Egg (extra large). Both are eggcellent!!

I have never had an issue with the traeger but then again we use it all the time and I have it inside a small 8 x 10 building out of the weather ( the smoke house)and it stays in there even when running as we use it more in the winter.. . The big green egg sounds interesting also. What do you like about it ?

While the trager gives you great convenience over long slow cooking periods, the amount of smoke is somewhat limited. With my egg, I use a combination of lump coal and wood chunks to produce the amount of smoke penetration I seek. In addition to being used as a smoker, the Egg can also be used for very high heat to sear steaks. I can get mine to over 750 degrees for a quick sear and then quickly lower for continued grilling. Very versatile.

Catfishjack said:
Ahhh a sucker..yes indeed..
Well, our lives are generally a summation of the choices we have made....To each his own...Be it good or bad...
I like my Traeger but the again I like my JAG too...Sorry no fool here...

I `m going to apologize for the sucker inference. I posted that one too hastily. Different strokes for different folks and obviously you are no fool. The fact that I`m not willing to overspend on a certain grille doesn`t mean anything with respect to getting your money`s worth. More often than not you do indeed get what you pay for.
I`m just not much for grilling I guess..

Your apology is excepted and I thank you for it but I did not take your post to heart as your right in regards to "that is a lot of money for a grill "and if your not going to use it it is indeed money ill spent...I just tried to make a point to the poster in regards to pellet grills: that yes, they like pellet stoves, are expensive but if you use it and enjoy it you can justify the money...now things that my wife buys on the other hand.....Uhnn better not get me started on that .....

Catfishjack said:
The big green egg sounds interesting also. What do you like about it ?
The BGE takes up less room on my deck (horizontally anyway). It starts as fast and unlike a briquet based grill (like a Weber) I can shutdown the upper and lower vents and it's sealed so well that the charcoal goes out rather than burns out and I get to use it the next time. Because it's got a high thermal mass (inch & a half thick ceramic) it doesn't lose heat like a metal grill so it takes less fuel (which is good in the winter - we grill all year even with snow up to our knees out there). It also keeps the moisture in so the food doesn't dry like it does in some more traditional grills.

And yep, searing steaks is outstanding -- 2 minutes on either side with it roaring and then 2 minutes resting with the vents shutdown and it comes out perfectly cooked (medium rare), juicy and that carcinogenic coating outside that makes it so delicious :)

You can not go wrong with one of these, the last you will ever buy.

http://www.primogrill.com/

Lump charcoal for the win!!!!

I use my XL at least 3 - 4 times a week. From Pizzas to butts, it ROCKS! Much cheaper to use than a gasser, and the food tastes 10X better.
I also use a digital control on it to hold the temp for low and slow cooks. Set it for 225*, and it will hold that for the 20 hours needed for a big butt.
Holds it right at whatever temp you select +/- 2 degrees!

I like a pellet grill. I have ate some food cooked on Trager. Delicious. I have a Smith and Wesson 22 Mag portable I bought a few months ago. It doesn't have motors or electric so cooking time is limited to about 45 min to an hour. I can't wait till I save enough for the real deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.