Pellet choice for Harman stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

4dimad

Jul 4, 2008
MA
Hello,
I looked at my Harman P38 brochure and could not find info if I can use the softwood pellets. Pardon my ignorance, but would it make a difference (I used hardwood pellets last year)
Thanks

Agree. I have only one year's experience and no ax to grind. I've used both softwood and hardwood. Good quality pellets of either type worked fine. There are differences but a lot of the differences are pretty subtle at least for me.

Here's an important suggestion. If you are looking at a particular brand or just deciding betwen hardwood and softwood, do a search on the brand name here or simply post a question and ask for comments. People seem helpful and honest enough. I would really hesitate about a pellet that has a bad reputation with a lot of people. It would be ideal if you could test burn a few bags before you spend a ton of money. But the heating season's over now, so that won't work.

Good luck . You should do OK.

the advantage you have with the harman is that you can burn any kind of pellet without clogging the pot... not many other stoves can say that... hardwood or softwood makes no difference, its all compressed to the same density

4dimad, both of these guys know more about stoves and pellets than me. So go with what they say. I still think it's probably better to go with an average or above average pellet if only to save yourself some extra work emptying ash pans, They probably don't disagree. And as a Harman user, it's nice to hear good things about the stove.

Stentor said:
4dimad, both of these guys know more about stoves and pellets than me. So go with what they say. I still think it's probably better to go with an average or above average pellet if only to save yourself some extra work emptying ash pans, They probably don't disagree. And as a Harman user, it's nice to hear good things about the stove.

I'll agree with the above statements. I have burned both hardwood and softwood as well as some pellets that were a mix of both. My Harman stove had no problem burning any of them. As stentor says...go with the better rated pellets. By "rated" I am refering to the user review postings of their first-hand experience with burning the certain brands of pellets. There are many pellets they may burn ok but may leave extensive ash or cause clinker formations.

I prefer a good brand of Hardwood for my Harman Advance, but that is just my experience. Turmans are my pellet of choice, but there are many others out there with a good reputation as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.