Pellet consistency year to year

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 12, 2012
Eastern Maine
This has been my first winter burning pellets - my all around favorite out of all the ones I tried that are available to me was MWP - are pellets fairly consistent from year to year? Am I safe buying three tons next fall? Or should I get a few bags to be sure? I realize there are different batches etc, but from reading posts on here it seems like folks have the same favorites -

Greene team.. Heat consistent last 2 years, ash of 2012 run significant increase.

And FYI, you can eat out of my stove and venting, so eliminate suspicion of operator.

Typically yes but the quality of the raw material can vary. I have typically repurchased brands I liked the following year without trying the batch and have been generally satisfied. Been burning pellets 4 years now.

I've been burning Cleanfire Hardwoods for 5 seasons now, & while the heat seems to be consistent, the ash seems to accumulate MUCH faster in this season's stash. My P43 has always been on a 3-week cleaning schedule & my P61A on a 4-week, but this year both are about a week shorter between cleanings. The ashes really seem to be overly "fluffy" for lack of a better term. They DO tamp down in the ash pan if I think to do it. It's only a minor inconvenience, & I've already started paying www.woodpellets.com for next season's stash of 8 tons We're gonna get free delivery, as well.

I have been burning MWP(on and off) since the first season. I have seen the quality stabilize in the last 3(including this seasons). I asked ScotL what he was doing different and he told me they check the product from raw fiber to end product "in house" now.

From what I have seen MWP is very consistent from batch to batch because of how close an eye they keep on things. Their in-house quality control looks to be doing a nice job of keeping things in check. I don't think what you'll buy next spring will very much from what you have now!

I've settled on Okies but I've seen discussion of a related brand (Black Hills or something like that) from the same company with fiber or manufacturing sourced differently. Consistency in product is important for someone like me who is never going to be a pellet expert. I guess I'll find out more as pellets start to arrive at dealers.

It all depends on how the Pellet Mill gets there fiber also. Some Mills may buy "Whatever" just to keep production up.

While others create there own fiber, because its a Byproduct of there Main Manufacturing (Somerset / Turman / Etc).

Some mills have been known to use Scrap wood, Pallet wood, Etc. This can lead to screws, nails, plastic, etc...

Here is a fine example of "Quality". :( I have burned 5 bags of this yrs pellets and No plastic to be seen? Yr over yr, a huge difference.

2011-10-18_17-28-00_565.jpg 2011-10-18_17-38-31_452.jpg

Don't have any of those MWP's in my area, but would give them a try if they were. I've have had good consistent success with Greene Team, Stove Chow, and Barefoot the last couple of years.

The places that have their own mills for making flooring, etc, like Turmans, Lauzon, Somerset, etc will typically be the most consistent from year to year.

This has been my first winter burning pellets - my all around favorite out of all the ones I tried that are available to me was MWP - are pellets fairly consistent from year to year? Am I safe buying three tons next fall? Or should I get a few bags to be sure? I realize there are different batches etc, but from reading posts on here it seems like folks have the same favorites -

Ayuh.............

If HD sells MWP again next year at similar prices, that's will be pretty much all I'll buy.

Don't have any of those MWP's in my area, but would give them a try if they were. I've have had good consistent success with Greene Team, Stove Chow, and Barefoot the last couple of years.

The places that have their own mills for making flooring, etc, like Turmans, Lauzon, Somerset, etc will typically be the most consistent from year to year.
I've been meaning to ask you, since we both have a CPM -- I love the heat from the Green Team and Stove Chow, but for some reason both of them give me big clinkers, which I'm guessing they don't for you. My current bottom settings are 1-6-1 (also get clinkers at factory 1-4-1) I remember reading a post from you somewhere that when it's cold you run a bottom of 3-5-1. I don't think increasing the feed rate is going to help with clinkers though. I'm usually running 6/9 on the feed/convection fan. I shut down every two days to clean burnpot and around the heat exchangers and once a month to clean the venting, inside the heat exchangers etc. Just mildly curious as to why I get them -

I've been meaning to ask you, since we both have a CPM -- I love the heat from the Green Team and Stove Chow, but for some reason both of them give me big clinkers, which I'm guessing they don't for you. My current bottom settings are 1-6-1 (also get clinkers at factory 1-4-1) I remember reading a post from you somewhere that when it's cold you run a bottom of 3-5-1. I don't think increasing the feed rate is going to help with clinkers though. I'm usually running 6/9 on the feed/convection fan. I shut down every two days to clean burnpot and around the heat exchangers and once a month to clean the venting, inside the heat exchangers etc. Just mildly curious as to why I get them -
PM sent

I too had a clinker issue with the GSs I had. Try running the bottom 3 buttons at 1-5-3. Yes 3 on the AOT. This made a pain pellet into a very good pellet. No more clinkers.

Status
Not open for further replies.