Pellet Dispenser hopper ??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
scmaci said:
All good info
But I've built a pellet dispenser that holds 8 bags. Just put a bucket under the hopper, pull the handle... fill then push in and you're done.
Took me some time and figuring but it works great.
Pellet pig and Happy with 6 tons.
Sandy

Could you post a picture, or perhaps plans?

I just use a brass coal hod both for decoration and pratical purposes. My stack of bags is out in my porch. The hod takes 1/3 of the bag. I fill the stove before I leave for work and leave a full hod for the wife to pour in if needed before she goes to work around 2:00.

Attachments

• pellet stove 001.jpg
    pellet stove 001.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 644
I just pour straight from the bag. Less work that way.

scmaci said:
All good info
But I've built a pellet dispenser that holds 8 bags. Just put a bucket under the hopper, pull the handle... fill then push in and you're done.
Sandy

12/20/08 Not good on the computer... don't know how to place pictures ... Leave me your phone numbers and I'll call you.

Sandy

sandy2222 said:
scmaci said:
All good info
Sandy

12/20/08 Not good on the computer... don't know how to place pictures ... Leave me your phone numbers and I'll call you.

Sandy

You can email me the pics Sandy and I will post them for you..

I wanted something that would at least 1 bag of pellets or more, but also have somewhat of a decorative quality too. Since i live in a log home, I thought an old copper boiler might be appropriate.....I bought one like this, and it holds about 1 1/2 bags of pellets. I also got a plastic grain scoop at the local feed store.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Antique-Copper-Wash-Tub-Boiler-w-cover-wooden-handles_W0QQitemZ350142607287QQcmdZViewItemQQptZFolk_Art?hash=item350142607287&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72:1205|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:0|293:1|294:50

Rick5472 said:
I was thinking about building a bench seat similar to the one shown here: http://www.knottyplans.com/index.php?page=10015

Not sure how many bags it will hold but the dimensions can be adjustable.
I used to have a wood box for my wood stove but since converting to pellets it is too banged up and currently only holds bags of pellets. After switching to a pellet stove, I thought it would look cleaner and practical if I only had a storage bench that could serve two purposes.
bench t

I bought an unfinished bench like the one in the link at Mill Stores in Nashua, NH for about $30. It holds two bags of pellets.

I just have a tall rubber maid white kitchen trash barrel, its holds a little over 40lbs.

You should see my friends when they open it up thinking its a trash can "what the...."

Shortstuff said:
I've already considered the same thing, not wanting to have my wife or daughter carrrying a 40 lb. bag of pellets upstairs and attempting to pour into the stove in case I'm not around. So, I had one of those Rubbermaid bins with a hinged lid on it and put it upstairs not far from the stove. Then I use an empty plastic coffee container to scoop it out and carry it directly to the stove to fill it. You could always get a smaller 2 gallon bucket to scoop the pellets into, then they can carry that to the stove.

Either way, it's very convenient for the wife.

Steve

Gotta love Maxwell House for those convenient scoops. I use a similar system with the same scoop.

Has anyone built an 'extended' hopper? I keep thinking about this. I have an advance and would like to see something where you could remove the hopper glass and set another 40lb hopper on top of that giving a 100lb hopper total. This would be extremely helpful when going away for a weekend. I think it would be fairly simple for the right person to build and a couple clamps could hold it sealed and firmly in place.

Bushbuck said:
sandy2222 said:
scmaci said:
All good info
Sandy

Sandy

You can email me the pics Sandy and I will post them for you..

I'm real close to getting this pellet dispenser ready to ship in kit form. Easy to put together [only 21 pieces] or can ship pre-built.
Wife knows how to post pictures so will soon have it here.
Sandy

Status
Not open for further replies.