Pellet feeding

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bobgolf

Nov 24, 2019
Langhorne pa
I have a comfort bilt hp22. Is it normal for a flame sometimes to be basically no flame to an inch and then all the sudden go to 8 inches high? This is after it's been burning for about 2 hours. I run it in manual mode on setting 1 most of the time. Sometimes I get 2 pellets dropping sometimes I get 10. I'm assuming that there's a different number of pellets dropping no way to control how many drop each time

You are correct in your assumption. The longer the pellets the fewer that can be transported through the auger, the smaller the pellet the more than can fit in the tube. If you can reduce the amount of air going through the stove you can lesson the quick burn and even out the fire itself

You are correct in your assumption. The longer the pellets the fewer that can be transported through the auger, the smaller the pellet the more than can fit in the tube. If you can reduce the amount of air going through the stove you can lesson the quick burn and even out the fire itself
That's good to know, I'm assuming the smaller the pellet the more that drop the bigger the fire?

How would I reduce the air flow? The flame is constantly going from say an inch to about 8 in.

with my harman i drop the feed rate lower for small pellets, raise it a bit for longer ones..

with my harman i drop the feed rate lower for small pellets, raise it a bit for longer ones..
My feed off is 4.5 and feed on is 1.5. I just picked up different pallets today and they look pretty small. I'm not worried about how fast they burn I'm just trying to get a constant flame about the same height, is that possible?

Anytime i use stove or constant mode, whatever setting i set it at the flame will stay the same height and intensity. Higher with a feed rate of say #4, lower with a feed rate of 3. And of course the temp number it is set at.