Pellet insert into existing class a double walled chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Danreg99

Sep 21, 2022
North Dakota
After exhausting all options for installing a standalone pellet stove we are now looking at a pellet
insert that would sit into our existing wood fireplace. I have attached a picture of when the chimney
was being built. My idea was to come out of the fireplace and convert from 3" to 4" into a T then
run a 4" stainless steel liner all the way up into the chimney cap (still don't know how I will adapt to the larger
8" chimney cap. The other idea was to remove zero clearance fireplace all together but leave chimney intact,
build an alcove (cement board and stone) and install a standalone pellet stove that vents into liner and out the
chimney. Any feedback from you guys would be great! The picture with the fake fireplace is where we originally
wanted to install a standalone pellet stove to be exhausted out the side but due to there being a roof overhang
we were told we shouldn't do it.

new house 166.jpg original pellet.jpg

Last edited: