Pellet length

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Smokinbubba

Burning Hunk
Nov 30, 2019
Central Ohio
Do green supremes by lignetics usually run on the short side? Reason i ask. I purchased 5 or 6 bags from lowes when i first got my stove. They were 3/4" to 1 1/4" in length and very light in color. They burned very well. Light ash and a very very small flame at idle when set at 1-5-1. I was so pleased with them that i got 3tons delivered from HD. (Lowes ran out) the gs's from HD are very short 1/4"- 1/2" and dark. They feed thru my stove like prunes! If outside temps are above 35deg. I have to shut down my stove because my house temps gradually climb. 78deg inside, 37outside. I have my plate closed as far as it can go, 1-5-1 on the magic buttons. Mode "d". Stat NEVER calls for heat. Here are my options as i see it.
1. Only use stove when temps drop below 35deg.
2. Cycle the stove off and on
3. Open some windows
4. Buy some crappy LONG pellets to burn with temps above 35degf

Thoughts? Thx Bubba

What I’ve seen from these pellets is they can very from pallet to pallet. I worked on a stove 2 weeks ago where the auger was plugged tight with powder. I could break them by squeezing them in my hand.

I did the same thing. I then realized the Green Supremes bags I bought from Lowes was called Northeastern Blend - Hardwood/Softwood. The ones I got from Home Depot were Green Supremes Allegheny Mountain Hardwood Blend - Hardwood.

After some issues with longer pellets this year im running a pellet that is shorter and uniform throughout the bag.. Same thing as you it will cook me out of the house but im also finding im using far less pellets this year as things are burning as they should. most of the time my stove is on low instead of med this year

Mine are all apalation hardwood. I may never see my stove burn above 1 if winter never comes! With long pellets, my stove on idle is a pilot light up to 4" max flames. With the short ones, its 4" to 8" on one. Setting of 1-5-1

When i get pellets this small, i lower my harman feed rate down to 2/half.

Attachments

• 20191222_124635.jpg
    20191222_124635.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 110
Yep, that is what mine looks like, but darker. I already have my feed rate down on one. With trim set on one. It don't go lower than that. One upside is that this 3ton of pellets I just got should last 3 yrs...

Reactions: Tonyray