Pellet Miser still around?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jeremy6500

Feeling the Heat
Jan 22, 2021
Indiana
Hi all,

I have a PP130 that I am wanting to hook up to a room thermostat. From looking around last year I saw that there was a Pellet Miser that could be used for this, but when I went to try and get one this fall it appears that the site no longer exists. I tried Amazon, EBay etc with no luck.

Does anyone know if the Pellet Miser is still available?

Thanks

Thanks for link. Unfortunately this doesn’t do what a Pellet Miser does. This controller lest you adjust the pellet feed rate.

A Pellet Miser is a controller that allows you to hook the Pellet Pro stoves to a room thermostat to better maintain room temps vs using the built in dial thermostat on the unit.

Sorry about that. The only pelot miser I knew of is the one that gets hooked up to a vacuum switch it makes the stove go into a slower feed rate than factory setting can do.

Not sure if this will help you or not BUT the PP130 control board and knob board are basically the same as the Quadrafire Mt Vernon E2 stove. I "assume" the programming parameters may be different though. Anyway, I had an E2 stove that I added a millivolt thermostat on. The connector on the board is the 4 prong Molex and you use the two bottom pins as shown on the attached diagram. Like I said, this worked on my E2 so I'm not sure if that Molex on the Pelpro is active or not.

e2.jpg

Not sure if this will help you or not BUT the PP130 control board and knob board are basically the same as the Quadrafire Mt Vernon E2 stove. I "assume" the programming parameters may be different though. Anyway, I had an E2 stove that I added a millivolt thermostat on. The connector on the board is the 4 prong Molex and you use the two bottom pins as shown on the attached diagram. Like I said, this worked on my E2 so I'm not sure if that Molex on the Pelpro is active or not.

View attachment 300720
Thanks for the info. I will have to check it out.

I had a Pellet Miser and love it. Unfortunately we had a stove failure and the Pellet Miser may or may not have gone bad, but I ended up damaging it beyond repair, while attempting disassembly.
Steve, the vendor of Pellet Miser, appears to be gone. I had a number of e-mail discussions, and at one time, he indicated some health problems.
My last two e-mails went unanswered, unusual for him.
On the Pellet Master, the red wire, to the dial control, gets cut and the PM control gets inserted in series there.
I'm hoping to reverse engineer it, because it is truly a GREAT device.
IF anyone else comes up with a working solution, I am interested!

Reactions: Jeremy6500
I had a Pellet Miser and love it. Unfortunately we had a stove failure and the Pellet Miser may or may not have gone bad, but I ended up damaging it beyond repair, while attempting disassembly.
Steve, the vendor of Pellet Miser, appears to be gone. I had a number of e-mail discussions, and at one time, he indicated some health problems.
My last two e-mails went unanswered, unusual for him.
On the Pellet Master, the red wire, to the dial control, gets cut and the PM control gets inserted in series there.
I'm hoping to reverse engineer it, because it is truly a GREAT device.
IF anyone else comes up with a working solution, I am interested!
If you figure it out I would be interested.

There is what looks like a seller on EBay called Pellet Miser with the same logo, but their store has other items and no contact info.

Thanks for link. Unfortunately this doesn’t do what a Pellet Miser does. This controller lest you adjust the pellet feed rate.

A Pellet Miser is a controller that allows you to hook the Pellet Pro stoves to a room thermostat to better maintain room temps vs using the built in dial thermostat on the unit.
I would not want that devise on any stove. If the stove is run at to low of a temp for to long it creates creosote in the venting. Secondly it says it works on a St Croix. It will not work on that stove, if the vac switch is interrupted more than 2 times within a certain period of times it puts the stove into shut down.

I would not want that devise on any stove. If the stove is run at to low of a temp for to long it creates creosote in the venting. Secondly it says it works on a St Croix. It will not work on that stove, if the vac switch is interrupted more than 2 times within a certain period of times it puts the stove into shut down.
I don't quite understand your reply.
The PP130 can be set to run on low fire, indefinitely. The Pellet Miser did NOT break the vacuum switch circuit, it modified the dial temperature circuit.
I have no idea about it working on a St. Croix.

The PP130 can be set to run on low fire, indefinitely. The Pellet Miser did NOT break the vacuum switch circuit, it modified the dial temperature circuit.
The item listed above is not a pellet miser. It allows you to adjust the feed rate by interrupting the switches that stop tha auger.

The pellet miser is a different item

Reactions: Mt Bob
I was referring to the ebay unit that was posted above. If you look at the directions it wires directly into the hopper lid or vac switch circuit interrupting them periodically to reduce feed rate. That is not a good idea. Each stove has an engineered low burn rate to keep exhaust temp up to a certain point to prevent creosote build up. Looks like the Pellet miser is no longer available

This is what is posted on facebook I am posting it for informational porpose only. I have no relationship with this person or business so please don't pm me or send me money, lol.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100086955758227

Pelpro pellet stove thermostat adapter! If you are like me and can’t stand the Pelpro dial control with the goofy 3ft temperature probe, look no more. Takes maybe 10 minutes to install with the added hardware and 9 pages of detailed instructions. I’ve been building a bit more of a stock pile of these thermostat adapters so I have plenty ready to send out. $45 and that includes shipping. I accept payment through Venmo or Palpay just send me a pm and I will send a link. If anyone has any questions please feel free to contact me and I’ll help all I can. Thanks and stay cozy!

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg

Last edited:
What's on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/permalink....edKHLYcJjlwDnX03v9L8TqyehYYuS2w&__tn__=,O,P-R
·

Pelpro pellet stove thermostat adapter! If you are like me and can’t stand the Pelpro dial control with the goofy 3ft temperature probe, look no more. Takes maybe 10 minutes to install with the added hardware and 9 pages of detailed instructions. I’ve been building a bit more of a stock pile of these thermostat adapters so I have plenty ready to send out. $45 and that includes shipping. I accept payment through Venmo or Palpay just send me a pm and I will send a link. If anyone has any questions please feel free to contact me and I’ll help all I can. Thanks and stay cozy!

I would guess you could PM him on Facebook

Reactions: ARC and Mt Bob
What's really frustrating is the pp130 does indeed still have the four pins for a milivolt thermostat, and they still run milivolt but the stove don't start if you jump em. They got wise to our antics! Someone should make a flasher to fix the firmware on these stoves to enable them to pick up those pins.

Review: pellet hoss works well and as described. However, it's less efficient in my usage than just using the comfort settings on the dial. The comfort settings using the inbuilt stove temp probe and the hoss are pretty much mutually exclusive, as if one on the other cannot be on at the same time.

In my case, the thermostat will call and the stove will usually satisfy the call within a few minutes at full output. Then the call will end before the stove has really gotten going. Using the hoss the stove goes from full power to off many times a day vs comfort settings doing a slow burn throughout. Judging from ash build up and pellet use, the comfort settings are much more efficient..I think people who think these devices save pellets must be heating spaces to below 60ish and the stove turning on only rarely. I'm somewhat disappointed but overall feel the product works as described; shoulda bought a better stove to being with!

Reactions: Mt Bob
Review: pellet hoss works well and as described. However, it's less efficient in my usage than just using the comfort settings on the dial. The comfort settings using the inbuilt stove temp probe and the hoss are pretty much mutually exclusive, as if one on the other cannot be on at the same time.

In my case, the thermostat will call and the stove will usually satisfy the call within a few minutes at full output. Then the call will end before the stove has really gotten going. Using the hoss the stove goes from full power to off many times a day vs comfort settings doing a slow burn throughout. Judging from ash build up and pellet use, the comfort settings are much more efficient..I think people who think these devices save pellets must be heating spaces to below 60ish and the stove turning on only rarely. I'm somewhat disappointed but overall feel the product works as described; shoulda bought a better stove to being with!

Have you tried setting the dial on low instead of off while using the Pellet Hoss? That way the stove doesn’t shut off? Or maybe setting it to a comfort mode setting, although doing that could be tricky because the comfort mode could also shut the stove down.

Being able to set the thermostat lower than the lowest comfort setting could be a real plus in specific situations.

The constant cycling is my biggest concern, but for the price I figured it could give me added flexibility.

Have you tried setting the dial on low instead of off while using the Pellet Hoss? That way the stove doesn’t shut off? Or maybe setting it to a comfort mode setting, although doing that could be tricky because the comfort mode could also shut the stove down.

Being able to set the thermostat lower than the lowest comfort setting could be a real plus in specific situations.

The constant cycling is my biggest concern, but for the price I figured it could give me added flexibility.
Same question, does the hoss only run full power?

I have and older used PP130 I just installed in my basement and I love it except for it's temp control for 2 reasons. First, I have to tape the probe to the front of the stove to get it to regulate the space cold enough (~60deg) which gets more temp swing than the actual space as the stove starts and stops. But more importantly at this temp the stove is almost always running just on low-2, and I'd like it to fire and burn hotter more often as I've noticed this stove will produce some creosote idling like that. My thought was to run an external t-stat to control temp and leave the comfort setting mid range so when it fires it'll run a settings 3-4 at first. Wondering if this device will do that. Need to read the stuff on FB.

I have and older used PP130 I just installed in my basement and I love it except for it's temp control for 2 reasons. First, I have to tape the probe to the front of the stove to get it to regulate the space cold enough (~60deg) which gets more temp swing than the actual space as the stove starts and stops. But more importantly at this temp the stove is almost always running just on low-2, and I'd like it to fire and burn hotter more often as I've noticed this stove will produce some creosote idling like that. My thought was to run an external t-stat to control temp and leave the comfort setting mid range so when it fires it'll run a settings 3-4 at first. Wondering if this device will do that. Need to read the stuff on FB.
I would reach out to the manufacturer.

The way it works is that the stove runs on whatever you have the dial set on when the thermostat is not calling for heat. When the thermostat calls for heat it kicks the stove up to high until the thermostat is satisfied .

Since the comfort level settings on the dial are supposed to represent an actual temperature, you might get some odd burning behaviors. If the dial is too high the dial thermostat would maintain a temp higher than the room thermostat. If it was set too low the stove would shut down when the room thermostat was satisfied and the room thermostat would kick it back on high before the dial thermostat called for heat.

I think the 2 best ways to use it is either with the dial on low or off. This would mean the stove would with shut off completely or drop to low whenever the room thermostat wasn’t calling for heat.

I built own controller for the pp130 to run an external thermostat, so I can't exactly speak on the pellet hoss. But I set my stove on low and then allow the thermostat to kick it to high when calling for heat. Leaving it off was okay, but with the pp130 heating my whole house, by the time it cooled down it was only maybe 2 minutes before it kicked back on because of the thermostat. Of course if you have a big swing/differential setting and your house retains heat longer, than I'm sure off is the better option. I only ran the comfort settings when I was. It using the external thermostat. You can extend your probe as well by just adding in a given length of wire. This worked well for me before I added an external thermostat, worked almost as good.