Pellet Musings

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I don't understand your question. I got the stove with the hopper that was on it - which the literature that came with the stove says is a 72# hopper (the P68 has the 76# hopper). Then I had them add the hopper extension (as indicated in the previous post) that gives it a total of 132# capacity. Maybe they've changed the configuration since then or given other options?

Some of the Harman stoves have various hopper options and further options on the secondary market for the extensions beyond Harman. Glad to hear you have sufficient capacity.

Reactions: bogieb
From your own link, "Ideally, your fuel is best stored indoors, like described above."
Do you store your pellets in an uninsulated/unsealed/unheated/cooled garage?Then that is the same as storing them outside,on a pad/stone foundation.

Some of the Harman stoves have various hopper options and further options on the secondary market for the extensions beyond Harman. Glad to hear you have sufficient capacity.
Sufficient capacity?That only means what suits your whims.Putting in a bag in the AM,then one in the PM is light work,for most people.

I'm quite sure you could have some sort of hopper fabricated to suit your needs. Do you have any photos of your current setup?

Reactions: Mt Bob
"OK... How does any of this affect burn speed? How does any of this change hard woods burning better in my application, both in terms of BTU output and cleanliness?" Your words. A Harman uses an exhaust probe(Duayne was a smart person),and the pellets burn at a speed that keeps the stove at an optimum burn,which also reduces emissions. It is not a perfect system,but has been proven to be a very good system.

Reactions: Ssyko and Washed-Up