Pellet Overfeed?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Czech

Minister of Fire
Jan 20, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
My Quad Castile seems to be overfeeding the last few days, it's filling the pot over half and even shutting down at times. I originally thought it was due to running alot of corn, but I've got a 80% pellet mix going now and it just keeps dumping into the pot before the last has burned well. It's clean and the feed gate is closed as far as possible, but burning too lazy with what looks like too much fuel dumping in. Thoughts? Thanks gang,

Bob

make shure the holes are clear in the burn pot, you can also reduce the feed from the hopper. If your corn and pellets arent well mixed it can feed at differnt rates throught the hopper. And hopefully your combustion blower didnt poop out. Also make shure the bottom clean slide in the pot is all the way shut, and last but not least make shure the second trap door that goes in the ash pan is sealing too.
hope that helps

Might not help but it is the major source of irritation with corn. CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN. When did you clean out the back area behind the burner where the fue enters? It gets cruddy back there for sure especially using corn. This may not be the answer for you but in terms of general solutions to all sorts of troubles it seems to rate #1. It won't stop the stove either just make it run worse all around which makes it more insideous. Good luck

Check how the stove is burning right after a good cleaning. Is the flame short, just 1-3" above the burn pot or is there a tall orange flame (5-8")? The flame should be hot yellow-white and just a little bit above the burn pot. Corn is much smaller than the average pellet and will need the feed rate altered (most likely reduced). Is the feed rate rod locked (screwed down) after setting?

Ya know, I called my dealer at the same time I posted this problem. It's no surprise who got back to me quicker, I truley appreciate all those who are here. What a quick, accurate, wealth of info. On the stove side, I'm in the basement again this eve to watch, right near the garage beer refrig. I think you guys (?) are correct, got a lot of ash out of the vent tonight, going to scrape it clean tommorro. That said, I'm still not convinced it was not feeding too much, but I should figure that out in an hour or so and 4 beers from now. I'll keep you posted. On a serious note, just watched a neighbor's house go up in flames, not sure what happened. I'll let the board know the cause when I hear more. I heard candles, but not sure yet. Place is basically a hole in the ground now, good news is no one was hurt. Cheers and be safe,

Bob

Once again, this board is correct. Although the daily cleaning was good, the get in and get 'er done cleaning today was better. I cleaned the vent after going to 5 different places to find a 4" vent brush, Home Despot said they only stock those in the fall. Go figure. Finally got one from my dealer, but it was very spendy, came out to $58 with two 5' rods. Ouch. Anyway, cleaned everything out, including removing the fire brick to get at the combustion fan and heat exchangers. Things are working MUCH better now. I do want to comment on my last post, I didn't intend to make all dealers sound bad, I know of good ones, many of which are here. I did mean to point out the wonderful wealth of knowledge on this page and all those that contribute. Thanks again,

Bob

you know, Gotz.....I wish more folks were like you. Probably 90% of the problems we have are with folks not cleaning adequately. For many folks, taking out the ash tray and emptying it is a cleaning (no joke!), let alone tearing it down, cleaning the stove AND the pipe! Quite important. Often when you tell someone its likely their problem is with cleaning, they figure you are just trying to get out of looking at their stove, etc. I did a test on my home stove this year, just to see what happens. I have a Harman p61 (big surprise, huh?), and the only maintenance I did was dump the ash tray, clean the glass, and scrape the burn pot.....from September 3rd to February24th! It was still running when I finally said enough is enough and tore it down. I ran roughly 3-1/2 tons through it! What I saw before cleaning was a big, and I mean BIG, orange flame, somewhat lazy. Also noticed that the pellet ash was no longer granular, but alot of it took the form of pellets still (like a charcoal pellet). WHy did I do this? Because now when I go to someones house for a problem, I can look at the ash or the flame, and pretty quickly ascertain its a cleaning issue....not a warrantee issue....and that'll be 75 bucks please.

Thanks Harryback. Your screen name always cracks me and the kids up, the avetar is the icing on the cake. We call our iRobot vac Harry, so the twin 4 yr old boys and I always notice your name. I guess being a first year burner (done wood, never pellet), my advice would be to clean everything after a ton or so, just like the dvd from quad tells you. I never did listen well, my mom still tells me this, and now I'm yelling at the kids for the same reason. Pay backs. Ms. Gotz is hot now that I cleaned things, hopefully no more twins this time around! Wish me luck? Mark, if your out there, thanks for your help today, much much appreciated. Thanks all, have a good Monday,

Bob

PS. Have to ask, see many NE US people, and it seems those who burn wood may also GROW GIANT PUMPKINS? Just checking....

Status
Not open for further replies.