Pellet Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeS

Feeling the Heat
Jan 25, 2008
Maryland
Has anyone burned American Wood Fiber Premium Pellets? I wanted to purchase a ton and will try a few bags first but I was looking for some feed-back here.

I would not trust anything anymore. Our showroom and one of our customers had been using "MARTH" pellets made in Marathon, WI; purchased at Home Depot. They liked them so they bought 1 ton. I had to go out there because the auger kept jamming up, and found that probably 50% of the pellets were longer than normal. Many were 2"+ long. Seems we can't even count on consistency from the same manufacturer anymore. Disappointing.

jtp10181 said:
I would not trust anything anymore. Our showroom and one of our customers had been using "MARTH" pellets made in Marathon, WI; purchased at Home Depot. They liked them so they bought 1 ton. I had to go out there because the auger kept jamming up, and found that probably 50% of the pellets were longer than normal. Many were 2"+ long. Seems we can't even count on consistency from the same manufacturer anymore. Disappointing.

Marth were the first pellets I tried burning when I first started my stove this year. I didn't know what to expect. I have since tried other brands and in comparison, the Marth seem to put out pretty good heat. I bought a ton, and didn't notice any pellets that were too long. The Green Way pellets I got at HD were real long though. (over 2") My problem with the Marth pellets was that they wouldn't burn completely for me and kept filling up in my burn pot no matter what settings I tried.

JoeS said:
Has anyone burned American Wood Fiber Premium Pellets? I wanted to purchase a ton and will try a few bags first but I was looking for some feed-back here.

Hi Joe,
I'm burning AWF as I type. This is the third brand I have tried and this is my first heating season (began Jan 13, 2008) I have a Harman xxv. Out of the three brands I have used Country Boy, Somerset and AWF, AWF has the most ash, dust and lowest heat out put.

Country boy and Somerset, to me, are equal and I plan on purchasing one or the other for next year. Which ever is cheapest will be the one I purchase.

Now with that being said, if I can get AWF at a very very very good price I will consider them. They just started producing pellets in a new facility about one hour from my house. I plan on attempting to purchase from the plant. Local dealers selling AWF can offer a lower cost due to lower transportation cost. TSC, this year, has been price matching AWF being sold by competitors. TSC sells Somerset, at least this year.

Two cents,

Dan

packerfan said:
jtp10181 said:

My problem with the Marth pellets was that they wouldn't burn completely for me and kept filling up in my burn pot no matter what settings I tried.

It turns out that this was a stove problem, rather than the pellets.

Status
Not open for further replies.