pellet storage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Angelus

Feb 28, 2008
Capital Region, NY
Anyone have suggestions for pellet storage? Would a detached garage or detached out building be ok it they are well sealed or would too much moisture reach the pellets?

Also, I have a 2100sq ft home. I am going to use a pellet stove as primary heat. Any ideas on how many tons I should buy at first to get me through next winter?
thanks

I store my pellets in a detached garage, and don't notice any problems with moisture. I had about half a ton from the 06-07 winter in my garage all summer long, and they burned great this fall.

I just store my pellets in the bags they come in stacked on pallets.

My Northern Vermont home is about 2100 sq ft and pretty drafty. In 05-06 (before my I had a stove), I purchased over 1700 gallons of proane. My first year with the stove, my propane dropped to about 500 gallons and this year I expect to be closer to 400 gallons. I burn my Enviro Empress on High (5) most of the winter to heat as much of the house as I can. I have burned about 5 tons so far this winter. I expect to buy my sixth ton this weekend. I may have to buy another half ton in the spring to get me through. I bought about 6.5 tons last year and burnt a little bit over 6 tons.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.