Pellet storage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Leob1

Nov 22, 2023
New Jersey
Greetings! I'm a brand new pellet stove owner. I've had it for one week, and it's my first pellet stove. So far it's working very well. I've bought a ton of pellets and have them stored in a portable shed.
My question is; will there be any issue if I dump a few bags into a metal garbage can, with a lid, on my covered porch before I bring them inside and into the hopper? Will they absorb moisture and not burn correctly? I figure they wouldn't spend too much time in the can before they go into the stove, But I wanted to ask the experts.

Greetings! I'm a brand new pellet stove owner. I've had it for one week, and it's my first pellet stove. So far it's working very well. I've bought a ton of pellets and have them stored in a portable shed.
My question is; will there be any issue if I dump a few bags into a metal garbage can, with a lid, on my covered porch before I bring them inside and into the hopper? Will they absorb moisture and not burn correctly? I figure they wouldn't spend too much time in the can before they go into the stove, But I wanted to ask the experts.
I’m not an expert but have stored one or two tons of pellets in my screened in porch every year for 30+ years. When it rains, many times there is heavy condensation that forms on the bags, even though I have them covered with the plastic cover they were shipped with. I’ve only had an issue once where some of the pellets in the bags turned into sawdust from the moisture.

In your situation , I doubt you will have issues as the trash can will be completely covered. I would suggest you use all the pellets in the trash can by the end of the season.

Reactions: Washed-Up