Pellet stove costs/ my dilemma

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mrmojo182

Oct 18, 2009
East
Hey all,

I figured I would write this to see what everyone else out there is thinking on the costs of stoves these days. I'm burning a very old Whitfield Cascade that is running great now, but not what I wanted when I switched from wood to pellets. I wanted something I could control, and put on a tstat. Anyway, been researching the hell out of this to find a great solution. I have a fireplace and all my stoves have been hearth mounted. I would love to get an insert, especially a Harman or enviro buy the prices keep me from doing it. Where I am, an accentra insert is 4000.00 plus. At that amount I would rather upgrade my whole heating system. How are other's making the justification? I also have a gas boiler (old) and do save money with pellets. Heck I enjoy having the heat from the pellet stove since I grew up with it. I know many would say I'm crazy to heat with anything other than gas, but I like it. But I still have a hard time spending 3500.00 on a new stove.

I'm looking at the englanders of course from amfm. My stove now was my dad's, he purchased it new in 95 or 96. When I got it last year it's the first time anything was purchased for the stove other than gaskets. I'm concerned if I get an englanders I will miss the simplicity of the Cascade. Anyway not trying to start a flame war, just seeing what people's thoughts are on my situation.

Unfortunately you will get more payback quicker by upgrading your current heating system to a new energy efficient. The new units will cut your heating costs in half. i would upgrade the heating system then when i recoup the money back from that upgrade your insert.

I kinda were just like you. I have Natural gas but grew up with a wood stove my entire life. When I bought my house back in 2003 it came with a wood stove insert. I right away was brought back to my childhood and the wood stove I grew up with. After 10 years living in my house and enjoying the wood burning, my stove broke down to the point that it wasn't worth fixing. Pushing 50 I was starting to think about what I wanted to replace the wood stove with and decided I wanted to go with a pellet stove. I knew that probably in the next 10 years I wouldn't want to deal with processing wood and storing godly amounts to stay ahead with dry wood. My son would be gone and I would have to do it all myself. I made the big investment in a harman accentra 52i insert. My total investment was around $5000 after it was installed and a liner put in my chimney. My justification was that I love fire heat and it brings me enjoyment during the winter months. I will probably never recoup the cost vs the saving of burning. I'm okay with that because I have a great reliable stove that should last me for many years.

Reactions: Ssyko and mrmojo182
I'll always have a stove on this hearth, been one form or another on it for 40 years now. But if I had natural gas in the house I'd probably have a gas stove on the hearth vs pellets.

Reactions: mrmojo182