Pellet Stove Does Not Like New Backup Generator

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

caddiscraver

Dec 10, 2009
western wa
Hi everyone-

I am having an issue with my Whitfield pellet stove. For some reason it will not run properly with my new 6875 watt backup generator. The fire blower will not work when hooked up to the generator but the blower pushing air into the room works just fine. I thought maybe the extension cord I was using was too small and too long so I bought a 12 gauge 50' long cord and I have the same problem. I can switch from the generator power (blower not working) to house power and it works fine! The local tech will not be out for over a week so any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Bob

Sounds like you need to get a line conditioner for the power from the genarator.

caddiscraver said:
Hi everyone-

I am having an issue with my Whitfield pellet stove. For some reason it will not run properly with my new 6875 watt backup generator. The fire blower will not work when hooked up to the generator but the blower pushing air into the room works just fine. I thought maybe the extension cord I was using was too small and too long so I bought a 12 gauge 50' long cord and I have the same problem. I can switch from the generator power (blower not working) to house power and it works fine! The local tech will not be out for over a week so any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Bob

Does the generator put out a true sine wave from the invertor? That might be the problem if it does not.

I agree, you may need a line conditioner; a decent UPS can provide that and keep the stove running between losing power and the generator starting.

Do you really need a 50ft extension? 12g is decent size but the length will add resistance! I doubt it is but make sure the extension cord is not getting warm. If it is then move up to a larger gauge or a shorter extension (or both).

it is not the cord that is way more than capable of carrying that load 12 ga. cord is rated at 20 amps your stove pulls less than 5 with everything on high.

The first thing I`d do is check the voltage from the generator. Both mine were very low.

Thankyou all for the quick replies, everything is helping me narrow down the possibilities. I tried the new 12 gauge 50' cord connected to the house power and the stove ran fine, so thats one less thing. I just pulled out the generator, let it warm up good and then checked the onboard voltmeter. The needle hovered right around the 120 mark the entire time. I'm liking the 'dirty power' concept produced by the generator. I have been looking at power conditioners and I'm really at a loss. They range from 75 to a couple thousand. Will the less expensive conditioner/surge protector work for this application or am I looking a much bigger investment. Thanks for your time.
Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.