Pellet Stove Door Gasket Replacement?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello

Well I finally got the new supposedly OEM door gasket from the Manufacturer Canadian Comfort Industries in Alberta Canada.

What a disaster I had!!

The guy I talked to was very pleasant and very helpful in guiding me to the correct fire brick back panel for the Bay View stove. However the parts were shipped from Minnesota and what ever door gasket they found and packed into the box was way too short!! So getting a door gasket from the manufacturer is NOT the best way to go!!

The Meeco High Temp Gasket Adhesive is very drippy like the old styrene cement for plastic models. It may be high temp and recommended for stoves but it is so hard to use I personally DO NOT recommend it!!

So I went the same route as Xena did and got the RTV out. With an inexpensive caulking gun it is the absolute best way to go!!

With the caulking gun just put the RTV on the door and it does not drip at all!!

I started the rope gasket at the lower left hand corner so the joint would not be near the door handle where it opens. I also started the width of the rope gasket higher than the corner so when I came back I could just go straight to the corner and cut it with very sharp scissors!

Then just close the door and open it to make sure it works and close it again for over an hour to dry!!

That is all

Attachments

• PelproDoorGasket9sc.jpg
    PelproDoorGasket9sc.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 470
  • PelprodoorGasket8sc.jpg
    PelprodoorGasket8sc.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 480
Looks great Don!
Yeah I'm sticking with the
red permatex hi temp stuff
for future gasket installs.
If it was good enough for
the factory to use it's good nuff for me!

Xena said:
Looks great Don!
Yeah I'm sticking with the
red permatex hi temp stuff
for future gasket installs.
If it was good enough for
the factory to use it's good nuff for me!

Hello Xena

Thanks again for showing how it should be done! I ended up using some clear High Temp RTV and it worked great!

so I popped in some new fire brick and the stove is ready for sale.
See pics and tell me what you think?
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/83929/

I also started building a new raised hearth to display it.
See building a raised hearth again!
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/84018/

I have Rutland 500 degree silicone. Is this used for a pellet stove door gasket? Seems like the inside of the stove is hotter than that. Should I use silicone or cement sealant?

Status
Not open for further replies.