Pellet Stove Finally Installed Today (Pictures Attached)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
MainePellethead said:
There has been stories here awhile back of smoke backing up in the house with a power outage. Just because it doesnt happen with some....does not mean it wont happen. Alot of manufacturers(and some codes) require a vertical rise of a few feet. My installer didnt insist on it....in fact it was me that told him to. lol. I'd rather be safe than smelly (sorry) . Also I have seen many pictures of what it has done to vinyl siding with a straight out horizontal venting. :)

I respect the opinions/advice of all the veteran burners out there. I have decided to try the straight pipe for the first season and if it becomes a headache I will add the riser in the spring. I am not to concerned about power outages since I will be running the System on a UPS (70 minutes of battery run time while the stove is running as per the display) and do not get frequent power outages (just minute hiccups of 1 to 10 minutes from time to time) . I also deceided that I will be running the stove 24/7 with a setback of 65 degrees when no one is home and while we sleep (73 all other times). On another note I purchased 2 carbon monoxide detectors and wanted to know if I just need to install on each floor in the hallway.

Thanks

Someone needs to come up with a UPS that looks like a coal hod :) :)

kyburnr said:
Someone needs to come up with a UPS that looks like a coal hod :) :)
that would be sweet, could make you a rich man burnr.

installed a (quadrafire castile) in 04.....same corner and venting installation your pictures depict.....we also used LUHRS ACE HARDWARE in MILFORD PA....their company rep Matt was very knowledgeable and professional....in the four years burning our castile it has performed flawlessly....

smoke indoors during a power outage has never been an issue...nor has staining on the exterior (log siding) in four years running....I would expect your experiences will be the same, thou be it you have vinyl siding......

we secured all permits and had our inspection pass, to code, in Vernon NJ...vertical venting is always an option....however up until now I do not see the need.....

congratulations with your purchase.....you won't be dissapointed with that quad....

MainePellethead said:
There has been stories here awhile back of smoke backing up in the house with a power outage. Just because it doesnt happen with some....does not mean it wont happen. Alot of manufacturers(and some codes) require a vertical rise of a few feet. My installer didnt insist on it....in fact it was me that told him to. lol. I'd rather be safe than smelly (sorry) . Also I have seen many pictures of what it has done to vinyl siding with a straight out horizontal venting. :)

This is where I get confused. If the straight vent pipe (which is 12 or 16 inches away from the exterior wall) creates the risk of siding damage, then won't the vertical rise do the same (3' or 5'), especially since it may not go above the roof line? After all, it is still basically the same distance from the exterior wall - correct? So, correct me if I am wrong, but unless the the vertical rise places the termination cap above the roof line, the risk of siding damage (either by heat or soot) still exists. This makes me question the details in the Quad manual: it states that straight vent pipe must be at least 12 inches minimum, but 24 inches minimum from combustible items, such as adj buildings, protruding structures, shrubs, etc. Yet, the actual house, which is combustible, is still on 12 inches away - huh??? Am i missing something?

caseyclan said:
MainePellethead said:

This is where I get confused. If the straight vent pipe (which is 12 or 16 inches away from the exterior wall) creates the risk of siding damage, then won't the vertical rise do the same (3' or 5'), especially since it may not go above the roof line? After all, it is still basically the same distance from the exterior wall - correct? So, correct me if I am wrong, but unless the the vertical rise places the termination cap above the roof line, the risk of siding damage (either by heat or soot) still exists. This makes me question the details in the Quad manual: it states that straight vent pipe must be at least 12 inches minimum, but 24 inches minimum from combustible items, such as adj buildings, protruding structures, shrubs, etc. Yet, the actual house, which is combustible, is still on 12 inches away - huh??? Am i missing something?

Good question :) And yes...one would think it would be no different straight out or a vertical rise on dirtying the siding etc. First....let me say....I only went 8' up for now....I plan on going above the roof line. But....certainly with coming straight out you will get far more fly ash than if you were up...say....5-8' After cleaning a vent pipe you will see that the furthest away from the stove the cleaner the pipe will be. For instance....on the approx. 3' of horizontal pipe coming off the stove and to the T outside that changes to verticle.....I had approx. 1 1/2-2" of fly ash resting on bottom part of pipe....and on the verticle as I got further away was hardly anything. And I had only installed mine last Jan. 8th, so only ran half the season. Also...a BIG issue is.....will your vent pipe be in an area of your house that gets hidden by the wind? Mine doesnt get a huge amount of wind where I have mine.....if your venting is in a wind prone area...you are more likely to have your siding dirty'd up. :)

Nice job, the stove looks great.

Great looking stove and installation. My Castile is installed the similar method - maybe a little further from house than you -but runs parallel with fence line so doesn't show from road(chain link). I've never had problems with staining or soiling the home. You will likely see sparks or embers coming out of the pipe intermittently.

Status
Not open for further replies.