Pellet stove install.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Barry C

Oct 3, 2022
NYS
What do I need to know/do to install a pellet stove in front of a fireplace. Probably a basic question. I do not want to get/buy an insert stove ($$) so want to know how to vent it safely. There is a big clay tile in great shape in the chimney. It does have to go through a 4" by 24" opening/damper opening.
Is there a good source for info on how this can be done?
Thanks,
Barry (newbie to the site but long time wood cutter, splitter, burner)

What do I need to know/do to install a pellet stove in front of a fireplace. Probably a basic question. I do not want to get/buy an insert stove ($$) so want to know how to vent it safely. There is a big clay tile in great shape in the chimney. It does have to go through a 4" by 24" opening/damper opening.
Is there a good source for info on how this can be done?
Thanks,
Barry (newbie to the site but long time wood cutter, splitter, burner)
Barry,

A good start may be to select any stove you are considering and read the manual. Then you can also look at pellet pipe manufactures manuals/install data.

Under the resources tab there are multiple pdf's on products offered, installation, etc.

And as always, photos of a proposed set up helps.

Reactions: Shank
Here is the fireplace opening, it is 4.5" wide and 34" long. The damper does not seat well as the opening frame is warped a bit.
The flue liner above is 11"x11" and looks unused. It is 24" above the edge of the metal damper frame. It is also off to the left side of the 34" wide damper space. The fireplace may have seen 10 fires in its 90 years and that makes sense knowing the original owners a bit. They had the house built in 1931.
My question is, do we block off most of the 34" wide opening and put the pipe up into the liner through it?
Thanks.

flue.jpg

My situation is similar to yours
I believe screen wire will allow you to mortar the damper shut and seal the liner in place.
That's my plan & cover the fireplace opening with an access made from hardboard & tile