Pellet stove installation questions???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mscj

Feb 1, 2009
Plainview, TX
Hi guys--I live in a two story stucco home, looking at installing a pellet stove on an outside wall. I've seen pics of installations with through the wall exhaust which rises a few feet, then 90's out about a foot to some sort of vent. The wall I'd be installing the stove on is flat all the way to the peak of the house (25-30 feet or so). My questions to begin with are: how hot does the exhaust pipe get, is there much smoke off a pellet stove (don't want to discolor the stucco), and finally, any other pipe installation recommendations out there? I've done a freestanding woodburner install in the past, but by what I've read so far online, these pellet stoves are a bit different. Thanks in advance.

Pellet stoves are much cleaner than wood stoves and the venting isn't as stringent.

Still, they do smoke on startup and I have seen discolored siding from this.

If discoloring the stucco is a concern, you might want to run it straight out, into a cleanout t and up past the roof about a foot.

The stoves burn cleaner than a wood stove once lit though.

You can get away with a 90 inside and and at least a five foot vertical rise into another 90 and then out two feet. This SHOULD get the smoke away from the stucco but to be on the safe side you could run it up to the roof.

You other question. The stove pipe is insulated with a liner inside the pipe and an airgap before the final shell to the outside so it doesn't get that hot at all.

Still, you need to use a wall thimble.

Mark :)

Thanks for the reply--one more.......what is the max recommended horizontal run for the 3" pipe? I have another install option that would allow me to take the pipe straight out into the garage and up to the garage attic, at which point I'd like to go horizontal (or maybe 45 deg angle right after penetrating the garage ceiling and angling up to the roof) to get me a few feet from the second story wall. Is this a feasible option? I'd like to end up at least 5 feet from the second story wall.....how high above the roofline (not necessarily the peak of the roof) would I have to go? Thanks again.

for what its worth, mine goes straight out the house to a cleanout Tee, up 6 feet then out the exhaust port. The pipe is about 12 feet below the roof line. I've never had a draft problem.

mscj said:
Thanks for the reply--one more.......what is the max recommended horizontal run for the 3" pipe? I have another install option that would allow me to take the pipe straight out into the garage and up to the garage attic, at which point I'd like to go horizontal (or maybe 45 deg angle right after penetrating the garage ceiling and angling up to the roof) to get me a few feet from the second story wall. Is this a feasible option? I'd like to end up at least 5 feet from the second story wall.....how high above the roofline (not necessarily the peak of the roof) would I have to go? Thanks again.

You can go to Harman and download one of the manuals and look at your venting options. It also says what the max run on a 3" pipe is.

I don't know the max run on a 3" pipe however, think of how the wind would flow across your roof. If there are two roofs with unequal height and your planning on putting the vent pipe below the first roof would wind flow over the first roof and make a sharp down turn at the trailing higher edge and force wind pressure down the vent pipe? Picture a car in an aerodynamics wind tunnel. Have you seen pictures of this before how the wind follows the line of the car and curves down at the back edge of the roof across the trunk?

When the stove combustion fan is running you don't have to worry about this at all. It is if you loose power or shut the stove down and the combustion fan goes off while there are still embers in it.

A good place to find venting options of that nature would probably be in the wood burning stove forums. Wood stoves for the most part relies on a nice draft to pull the smoke out of the stove. They for the most part don't have combustion fans.

doghouse said:
for what its worth, mine goes straight out the house to a cleanout Tee, up 6 feet then out the exhaust port. The pipe is about 12 feet below the roof line. I've never had a draft problem.

I say that info is worth something. that is similar to how mine is configured. However, he said getting soot on the stucco was an issue. ALthough I get no soot on my siding, I have seen other houses that do get soot.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.