Pellet stove newbie, steep learning curve

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
The vertical pipe that goes thru the wall exits to a selkirk horizontal termination pipe. Its extends 18" or so from the building. We plan to install a vertical pipe up over the roof ridge line.

I dont understand why the pellets from one bag to the next from the same pallet would burn so differently. Most of the ash is dark gray. The stove burned like the video for about 36 hours, i then shut it down to clean it and then had a completely different burn, had to completely change the settings to even keep the fire going. Had to crank up the feed rate to 5 (in the video it was set to 1), and had to putz with the damper and combustion feed rate to keep the flame from going out the pellets were burning so fast with a brisk flame. If i had i creased the combustion air it would nkt have been able to drop pellets fast enough to maintain the fire.

Sometime this morning after i checked on it ( around 7 am) "something" changed, and when i checked on it around 11, i had pellet build up, partially burned pellets and a lazy flame. I raked the liner pot to dislodge the built up ash and it began to burn better. Shut it down around 230 to clean. What i thought was soot on the glass actually vacuumed off so im thinking it was more likely black ash. It is a persnickety machine.

Attachments

• IMG_20191117_181014.jpg
    IMG_20191117_181014.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 94
My current problem, and how the stove burned all yesterday... Not enough pellets to sustain the fire, then they ignite kinda all at once, burn fast and it almost goes out.

Attachments

• IMG_20191117_181806.jpg
    IMG_20191117_181806.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 89
I can see in the first picture there’s a lot of powder in the chute that drops the pellets. That’s not a good sign. Your chimney set up is ok but I’d rather see it out the back and up. When you stir the pot your probably also dropping ash into the burn pot holder. Are you playing with the trims? If you are set them both at 3. I also forgot the ash pan has to be put in square or it will leak air at the bottom. Make sure the gap down both sides where the gasket presses against the stove is even. I have a feeling we may be putting up with another year of crap pellets. We’ve already gotten a couple loads of dirty ones. How dusty are yours?

I also think lignetics bought New England wood pellets. I’ll leave it at that. One of our truck drivers said this spring the had people opening up pallets and sorting through them to find bags that weren’t swollen and separating them. I’m getting fed up with the pellet companies. Check the bottom of your hopper and make sure it’s not full of powder.

I can see in the first picture there’s a lot of powder in the chute that drops the pellets. That’s not a good sign. Your chimney set up is ok but I’d rather see it out the back and up. When you stir the pot your probably also dropping ash into the burn pot holder. Are you playing with the trims? If you are set them both at 3. I also forgot the ash pan has to be put in square or it will leak air at the bottom. Make sure the gap down both sides where the gasket presses against the stove is even. I have a feeling we may be putting up with another year of crap pellets. We’ve already gotten a couple loads of dirty ones. How dusty are yours?
As i said we plan to run a chimney up the exterior of the building.

I am playing with the trims, more than it seems i should need to from bag to bag. I will try them at 3 but i think it will be too much combustion air for the drop rate and the flame will extinguish.

I discovered the nissue with the ash pan myself...thats when imgot the awesome burn in the video.

I dont think of the pellets as being dusty, but i have no point if reference.

I also think lignetics bought New England wood pellets. I’ll leave it at that. One of our truck drivers said this spring the had people opening up pallets and sorting through them to find bags that weren’t swollen and separating them. I’m getting fed up with the pellet companies. Check the bottom of your hopper and make sure it’s not full of powder.
I will check the hopper prior to adding more pellets. Bags of pellets are not swollen as far as i can tell and they are stored under roof cover and also a tarp