Pellet Stove newby

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

manchesternh

Hearth Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Manchester, NH
Hi all,

Just bought a new home in Southern NH and moved in last month. It has oil fuel and radiant heating throughout. Considering it is more than double the size of my last house (2300 sq ft vs. 1100 sq ft), I'm a little nervous about upcoming oil bills. I've been tossing the idea around of supplementing the oil heat with a pellet stove. A little short on cash after putting down the new down payment but I really think a pellet stove would be a good investment.

I have three zones of heating (2 downstairs, 1 upstairs) which I think would make my home very conducive to a pellet stove. Two rooms on the main floor (dining room and formal living room) are on one zone and can be closed off so they don't have to be heated that often. The bedrooms are upstairs and on their own zone. The main living area on the first floor includes the kitchen, half bath, and family room. This is the area I'm hoping to heat primarily with pellets and is probably only about 600 sq ft. I figure that if I can heat this area with pellets and just let the oil furnace control the bedrooms upstairs, I should see some savings in my oil bills. If some heat makes its way upstairs, great. If not, at least I'll have cut down costs somewhat.

There are two possible locations on the 1st floor where I could install a stove. We have a functioning fireplace in the family room where we could install an insert. My only concern with this is that this is where we spend most of our time watching TV and I'm afraid the pellet stove might be too noisy. The other area is in the kitchen. The kitchen is an eat-in kitchen and the far wall is an exposed brick wall that is our chimney. There was a cut-out in the ceiling where someone had venting for a stove of some sort installed previously but it has been drywalled over. The kitchen floor is tiled.

I've just started looking at a few stoves that others have recommended here and I'm sort of keying into the 55-TRP10 but I'm open to any other suggestions. I have a few questions though .... (disclaimer - I have no knowledge related to this so I apologize in advance for any stupid questions)

1) I read that stoves can be adapted to use a thermostat. Will I have to bury a wire in my wall? I read about remote thermostats but I'm not sure how they work. Reason I ask is because the stove backs up to the brick chimney and I'm not sure where to run the wire. Same goes with the electric. There's no outlet by the brick chimney so I'm not sure how I'd handle electric.

2) I expected to see a vent directly into the brick chimney. But you can tell the previous owners punched a hole in the drywall in the ceiling which I'm assuming was used for venting at one time. If there is a vent there, there's no benefit of trying to put one in the brick, right?

3) When using a thermostat, is it possible to use a programmable one that tells the stove to keep the area at 60 degrees from 8am-4pm but to increase temp to 65 degrees starting at 4pm? If not, do most stoves have an internal thermostat that tells them to kick on at a target temperature?

4) Are there benefits of a free-standing stove vs. an insert?

5) Living in New England, how important is it to have a multi-fuel stove? I'm assuming most pellets up here would be wood and that corn pellets would be more prevalent in the west/midwest.

6) Considering we lose power occasionally up here, any idea how much power a pellet stove uses? I just bought a 6000W generator which I think would be sufficient to power a stove in those rare instances when we lose electricity.

Thanks in advance for any help/info you can provide! I'll try to upload a picture of the area in the kitchen where I'm thinking about installing the stove.

Attachments

• Kitchen.jpg
    Kitchen.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 170
Welcome! Searching / reading a lot of the forums, will answer most your questions. I personally learned a lot going to manufacturer web sites, and reading through their manuals. Harman has all theirs online. Many manuals include complete install guides. For venting install, duravent has a website with install guides. Those will give you good general ideas of what to expect.

The sound of the pellet stove is like a fan on medium/high, and a cat nibbling hard cat food in a ceramic bowl every 10 seconds or so (Pellets falling into auger / pot). Unless your easily annoyed, it won't bother you one bit.

Thermostat is optional in most cases, you can run a wire outside the wall, to wherever you want. Or buy a wireless one 100$

Pellet venting is pellet specific. You need to use pellet grade piping.

Depends on the stove, but yes to all those options. Stove to stove.

Insert goes in wall.... Free standing is free standing... Benefits/Cons easier to work on, takes up less space, bigger hoppers / ash trays, etc... Also depends model to model.

If premium pellets are widely available and cheap, then just pellet is fine.
600 wattish PEAK, once the fire is lit 150-300 watts, again varies model to model.

Also heating 600 SQ FT should be fairly easy, it all depends on the homes insulation / tightness. One way to estimate how many/big of a stove you need, is to find out how much oil was used last year, convert to BTUs, then convert to pellets. Or 2 gallons oil = 1 bag of pellets *roughly*.

Good luck!

Others will be in to tell you about the specific stove you mentioned, I'm sure.

I think most stoves will heat 600sq/ft easily. My Harman takes 480 watts to start, and runs on around 130 watts. It has it's own room temp probe and stove temp mode. I love the self cleaning pot because of less cleaning, down time scraping clean the pot and less mess from ash. Cleaning and tweaking the stove may be a warming hobby but the better half may have other ideas if she has to clean and tend the stove. Welcome to the site and hope we can steer you to a happy informed purchase without any surprizes:)

Thanks for all the info. Now, after TheMightyMoe's response, I'm thinking an insert might be better for us. If the noise isn't a distraction, it would be easier and cheaper to install. We wouldn't need to worry about punching holes through walls and installing venting. Once installed, ideally there shouldn't be many times that I would need to get back behind the stove to work on it, right? I'm assuming all inserts allow loading and cleaning from the front of the stove.

As far as the electric source for an insert goes, I have an old ash catch in the bottom of the fireplace that drops down to the basement. I could probably just drop the electric down through that and run it into the basement, right?

Roughly how much would install cost for an insert if I hired someone (assuming I have purchased the stove, venting, etc.)?

Thanks again.

Some of the tech guys might want to weigh in here but, depending on the size of your flue, you may have to pipe all the way up the chimney.

I think your best bet is to get multiple quotes with purchase and install. Then ask for install separately and see the difference. Business is business. I still haggle today wherever I feel it is possible, if one dealer you like quotes you 200 more, and you say you would like to go through them but that 200$ is just too much, they might knock it off. You'd be surprised. Likewise, in your case, I would find a dealer that can best help you if you need service/repair. Because a stove is worthless if it doesn't work.

120v is 120v, make sure you have a surge a protector, and some kind of shut-off switch upstairs for it, if you are going to hard wire it.

I believe for the chimney install you need to run a flue/liner up the a entire chimney, and bring in outside air from there as well if possible.

I don't know about the install/maintenance/repair of inserts. Someone else can help you there.

If you're short on cash, you can save some by getting a factory refurb from Englander.....they come with full factory warranty.
I'd tend to lean more toward the newer single auger design, and this model comes as an insert or free standing. Many of us on the forum have bought from this company....great to deal with and free shipping to a loading dock near you:

www.amfmenergy.com/55trpepi--epa-certified-pellet-insert--2000552000.html

www.amfmenergy.com/55trpep--epa-certified-pellet-stove--2000552000.html

Status
Not open for further replies.