Pellet Stove Placement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

deucedown

May 26, 2008
poughkeepsie, ny
I'm looking to purchase a pellet stove. I have a 1650 ft raised ranch. First I need to decide what I am going to buy. After that I need to figure out a placement. There is a 1ft by 1ft cutout from my family room (in the basement) to my living room...directly upstairs. Our raised ranch also has an opening from the stairs downstairs to the upstairs.

After reading other posts I'm not sure if I put the pellet stove in the family if it will reach the bedrooms. In that case should I install it in the living room and try and install a blower to the downstairs?

Any help would be appreciated

deucedown said:
I'm looking to purchase a pellet stove. I have a 1650 ft raised ranch. First I need to decide what I am going to buy. After that I need to figure out a placement. There is a 1ft by 1ft cutout from my family room (in the basement) to my living room...directly upstairs. Our raised ranch also has an opening from the stairs downstairs to the upstairs.

After reading other posts I'm not sure if I put the pellet stove in the family if it will reach the bedrooms. In that case should I install it in the living room and try and install a blower to the downstairs?

Any help would be appreciated

If you want heat in the basement family room you need to put the stove there. In most raised ranchs there usually is a wide staircase so some of the heat would likely go up by natural convection plus you say you already have a cutout in the floor that might serve a a cold air return.
All this said it is still unlikely the arrangement will be adequate to heat everything satisfactorily. Practically every house layout has it`s own unique airflow patterns and you will likely have to experiment and use fans to move air around.
Possibly you could install the stove in the upstairs living room and heat tha majority of that floor and heat the basement
family room separately? See the other similar thread above.
John

Status
Not open for further replies.