Pellet stove power question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

heat my feet

Jan 8, 2023
New York
Essentially from everything I can tell, if the power goes out and the pellet stove is running without backup power, the house is going to fill up with smoke, right?

I have about a 4' rise then it goes out the wall.

I bought this as a backup for my 85 year old mother in law, and chances are it will only be used if the power is out, and I hook it to a generator, so I guess the point is moot. But I am curious. It doesn't seem like the best thought out design.

Just my $0.02!

Essentially from everything I can tell, if the power goes out and the pellet stove is running without backup power, the house is going to fill up with smoke, right?

I have about a 4' rise then it goes out the wall.

I bought this as a backup for my 85 year old mother in law, and chances are it will only be used if the power is out, and I hook it to a generator, so I guess the point is moot. But I am curious. It doesn't seem like the best thought out design.

Just my $0.02!
The smoke should still go out the exhaust even without the unit running. The 4' vertical rise should do that well. That is why a vertical run is recommended to help in these situations.

Have never had smoke in the house from the stove during a power outage
and we have frequent short outages and some not so short

It should draft out the exhaust. The 4' vertical rise should do that well.
Thanks. I may have to try it just for chits & giggles! I suppose if the pipe is hot, and you cracked the door slightly, it would draft enough to get the smoke flowing with enough time to hook up a generator. I'll post if I try it. Better make sure no one is home when I do! 😆

Thanks. I may have to try it just for chits & giggles! I suppose if the pipe is hot, and you cracked the door slightly, it would draft enough to get the smoke flowing with enough time to hook up a generator. I'll post if I try it. Better make sure no one is home when I do! 😆
You would be best to leave the door closed, opening it will likely lead to very undesirable effects.

You need not crack the door
there is air coming into the stove
all the time (air intake for combustion )
With or without an OAK

Reactions: Ssyko
I'm thinking like my wood stove. If I want more draft when lighting it, I crack the door. You may be right.

Hold my beer, watch this!😳

The pellet stove exhaust is not above the fire as it would be for your wood stove. Smoke on a pellet stove usually has to go down to the exhuast, so it isn't following the heat. Opening the door would give the smoke an easier path to escape (it will always take the easiest path).

I must have missed what brand of stove it is. Some stoves, if put on a non-syne wave UPS, will sense the difference in the power and gracefully shut down. Other stoves won't.

My Harmans are on APC 750 UPS'es (the smallest that would give the time needed for shut down) and that will pulse the exhaust fan long enough to evacuate the smoke until complete shut down.

The pellet stove exhaust is not above the fire as it would be for your wood stove. Smoke on a pellet stove usually has to go down to the exhuast, so it isn't following the heat. Opening the door would give the smoke an easier path to escape (it will always take the easiest path).

I must have missed what brand of stove it is. Some stoves, if put on a non-syne wave UPS, will sense the difference in the power and gracefully shut down. Other stoves won't.

My Harmans are on APC 750 UPS'es (the smallest that would give the time needed for shut down) and that will pulse the exhaust fan long enough to evacuate the smoke until complete shut down.
That makes sense. I don't want to buy a backup power supply for it, as it is only going to be used as a backup source of heat when the power goes out. I have a generator for that. Thanks.

I wouldn't crack the door open cuz you'll interfere with the vacuum system.

leave the door closed and it will draft out the exhaust.. My stove pipe is strait out the back and i have no issues with smoke if the power goes out.

Is this a Quad stove ? Have you run it yet off the generator ??

That makes sense. I don't want to buy a backup power supply for it, as it is only going to be used as a backup source of heat when the power goes out. I have a generator for that. Thanks.
Well, I guess I'm at a loss as to what the question is then. It isn't a backup power supply per se, it just allows a few minutes of time to keep the smoke evacuated from the chamber of the stove. For about $100 you can get a UPS that will allow time for the generator to be hooked up and not have any worries.

From what i have found is when power goes out the flame dies down and just embers remain kinda like throttling back a wood stove. It does not smoke until the door is opened and you start messing with it.

If you get a generator to run it get the small 2000 watt or less inverter type. Cheap and will not hurt the electronics