Pellet Stove Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skymynx

Nov 23, 2009
Coventry, CT
So we are getting a house hopefully in 35 days. Its all electric everything right now. I have been debating going to either a Pellet Stove or Gas Fireplace. I have a spot in the basement (which is a fully finished living area) where the old wood stove used to be. I believe that I should be able to directly vent it out the chimney this way. Now here's my question, what exactly do I have to do in terms of fireproofing for a pellet stove. My brother-in-law is a firefighter and is going to be looking up the codes from me but I figured I would ask here first.

Skymynx,

Welcome to the forum. Many very knowledgeable and helpful folks are members.

You are definately on the right start by gathering information.

Gas fireplaces and pellet stoves require different venting, so listen closely to your brother-in-law, carefully check the local codes, talk to stove shops and installers in your area, and check with your insurance company.

Generally, gas is less daily maintenance, but can be more expensive depending on the supply.

Pellet stoves usually require some daily maintenance ( quick clean and refill), and always need some weekly and yearly maintenance.

After burning wood for many years, the required pellet stove cleaning and handling the 40# bags of pellets is like a vacation and the fire is most relaxing and enjoyable!

There are so many insert and stove options, you will probably want to refresh your questions as you go along.

Best wishes for purchasing your house and picking the RIGHT stove or insert for your home.

Ranger

Welcome and watch out for flying pellet pigs.

If there was a wood stove where you are going to place your pellet stove, you have to make certain that the hearth extends far enough in front of and to the sides of the pellet stove (assuming a pellet stove is what you actually get) to protect from burning embers. The area will depend upon the specific stove.

All of the required information is usually found in the stove brochures.

It is usually better to get more heating capacity than you think you'll need. Doing so will result in less stress on the stove and an opps margin for any misunderstandings about the heat loss of your structure.

The manufacturers will also tell you to install to code. Now code varies depending upon jurisdiction so your brother-in-law is headed in the correct direction.

I used gas at the house before this and it is easier, just not as relaxing.

skymynx said:
I have a spot in the basement (which is a fully finished living area) where the old wood stove used to be. I believe that I should be able to directly vent it out the chimney this way.....

First of all, welcome to the forum skymynx. As was mentioned above, here is a LOT of very knowledgeable "pellet heads" roaming around this forum, so I'm sure you'll get it all figured out.

As for figuring out whether to go with gas or pellets, you might want to find out what the going costs are for both in the area where the house is, and plug them into a fuel cost calculator like this one to see what's cheaper:

www.pelletheat.org/3/residential/compareFuel.cfm

Also, to have us help you out even more, some pics of the area where the wood stove was would help too.....is the old stovepipe still there?

Having firefighter in the family sure helps, and should eliminate any problems when inspection time comes, regardless of which you choose. As Smokey Bear mentions, the hearth needs to be the right size, but typically a hearth for a wood stove is bigger than what a pellet stove needs anyway. I did the same thing as you, and replaced a wood stove, and my hearth was plenty big enough, with room to spare.

Status
Not open for further replies.