Pellet Stove recommendation needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

DaveinMI

Oct 21, 2014
Michigan
Hello, I want a pellet stove that I can hook up to an external wifi thermostat. I will only use this to start the stove remotely, not to actually control the temperature. Recommendations ? Thanks !

I might note that any external thermostat will do, doesn't need to be wifi. Just needs to start it when the stove is off. Seems the ones I look at just alternate from low/high settings. Thanks !

The PelPro PP130 and Pellet Miser USB controller work with a millivolt thermostat to start (and shut down) the pellet stove, but I don't know of any millivolt WIFI thermostats.

You could leave your stove on whatever setting you want and plug it into a smart outlet/smart controller, then power it up with Alexa or Google Home. Shut down would be tougher, but that should work for startup, I think.

Seems to me,nowadays, stoves that only go "hi to low" are a rarity,unless you are looking at older stoves.And some of them have retrofit kits to make them fully auto.

You can do that with any Harman Stove and a millivolt thermostat of any kind. We use the exact same thermostat on the propane furnace as the pellet stove. Wifey then has no problem turning stove on or off or adjusting the temp as it works exactly like the furnace. No touching of the stove is involved.
Ron

You can do that with any Harman Stove and a millivolt thermostat of any kind. We use the exact same thermostat on the propane furnace as the pellet stove. Wifey then has no problem turning stove on or off or adjusting the temp as it works exactly like the furnace. No touching of the stove is involved.
Ron
As much as I like the Harman stoves, my funds are a little short of being able to afford one. Thanks !

The PelPro PP130 and Pellet Miser USB controller work with a millivolt thermostat to start (and shut down) the pellet stove, but I don't know of any millivolt WIFI thermostats.

You could leave your stove on whatever setting you want and plug it into a smart outlet/smart controller, then power it up with Alexa or Google Home. Shut down would be tougher, but that should work for startup, I think.
That looks like a good option. I can get the PP130 for 1k at Mennards, and send in for an 11% rebate which would cover the cost of the Pellet Miser.
My other thought is this reman unit that comes ready for an on/off/on thermostat. About the same price as the PelPro.

So any thoughts on going PelPro with a Pellet Miser, or this reman ? Thanks