pellet stove timers

  • Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

    We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

    We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rad3110

New Member
Oct 11, 2007
120
Long Island NY
I know you can hook up a thermostat but is there a way I can hook up a timer to my Englander Stove. It would be great if I could get it to fire up an hour before I rolled out of the sack and turn off shortly before we go to work. Im sure the question has been asked and answered but I couldnt find it.
 

hossthehermit

Minister of Fire
May 17, 2008
2,571
Maine, ayuh, by gorry
rad said:
I know you can hook up a thermostat but is there a way I can hook up a timer to my Englander Stove. It would be great if I could get it to fire up an hour before I rolled out of the sack and turn off shortly before we go to work. Im sure the question has been asked and answered but I couldnt find it.

If your stove will run on a t'stat (not all will), get a programmable one. Set it for 80 (or whatever) at the time you want, then for 40 when you want it to shut off.
 

dac122

Feeling the Heat
Dec 11, 2007
348
Upstate NY
hossthehermit said:
rad said:
I know you can hook up a thermostat but is there a way I can hook up a timer to my Englander Stove. It would be great if I could get it to fire up an hour before I rolled out of the sack and turn off shortly before we go to work. Im sure the question has been asked and answered but I couldnt find it.

If your stove will run on a t'stat (not all will), get a programmable one. Set it for 80 (or whatever) at the time you want, then for 40 when you want it to shut off.

Not sure if that's what the OP is referring to since the 25-PDVC and 25-PDV are not designed to be auto-started. On those models when the tstat is not calling for heat the unit idles down to a low setting but continues to run.

Are we talking about the 25-PDVC and 25-PDV or one of their predecessors?
 

rad3110

New Member
Oct 11, 2007
120
Long Island NY
Summers Heat 55SHP10 is the model I have. I know I can put a T stat on it but I dont think I can use a timer. It is ashame beacause I let the temps plumit over night and everyone sleeps well. Then usually im tasked with crankin it up in the morning. My wifes hours have changed and now she's in charge of firing it up. Oh yeah she's not too happy about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!True love
 

dac122

Feeling the Heat
Dec 11, 2007
348
Upstate NY
rad said:
Summers Heat 55SHP10 is the model I have. I know I can put a T stat on it but I dont think I can use a timer. It is ashame beacause I let the temps plumit over night and everyone sleeps well. Then usually im tasked with crankin it up in the morning. My wifes hours have changed and now she's in charge of firing it up. Oh yeah she's not too happy about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!True love

I believe Mike Holton chimed in on this issue a while back and pointed out that the burn pots are not designed to auto-start by staying clear of ash, unlike their multi-fuel stoves. So even if you had a timer or a way to bypass the controller to do the same you'd have to make sure the burn pot was cleared the night before.

My Jamestown manual light has a much different burn pot that keeps itself clear. It would image the Jamestown models can auto start and stop when connected to a tstat.
 

hossthehermit

Minister of Fire
May 17, 2008
2,571
Maine, ayuh, by gorry
dac122 said:
hossthehermit said:
rad said:
I know you can hook up a thermostat but is there a way I can hook up a timer to my Englander Stove. It would be great if I could get it to fire up an hour before I rolled out of the sack and turn off shortly before we go to work. Im sure the question has been asked and answered but I couldnt find it.

If your stove will run on a t'stat (not all will), get a programmable one. Set it for 80 (or whatever) at the time you want, then for 40 when you want it to shut off.

Not sure if that's what the OP is referring to since the 25-PDVC and 25-PDV are not designed to be auto-started. On those models when the tstat is not calling for heat the unit idles down to a low setting but continues to run.

Are we talking about the 25-PDVC and 25-PDV or one of their predecessors?

If the t'stat controls it in a hi - lo mode, and you let it run all night on lo ('stat at 40) and have the 'stat set to go to 80 (or whatever) an hour before you get up, won't that do what you want? Just a suggestion.
 

UncleAnthony

Member
Jan 19, 2009
233
Southern Maine
Rad,

I'd sure be careful with a timer, make sure it works.

I had a nasty surprise with my Enviromax.

It can run with t'stat or timer, so I too thought it would be great to run on
a timer.
What happened is the timer turns on the stove ok.
When the timer shuts off, it shuts off the stove, BUT......

there is no shutdown sequence afterward where the blower runs to draw the fumes while
the stove is off (about 10 minutes ). The stove turned off, and all the smoke came into
the house ( i have direct vent).

Check out the t'stat, that should work well.
 

lmjr

Member
Feb 16, 2010
184
Corners of PA-OH-WV
Was the timer hooked-up to stove's t'stat terminals?

If it was...how would the t'stat have worked any better?

Or, did you put timer on 115 volt stove cord?...That would explain it!

Timer would only work on same t'stat connections...and not remove all power to stove.

What Hoss has suggested above should work for OP...it would idle stove at bed time throughout night until the next call for heat in AM.
 

UncleAnthony

Member
Jan 19, 2009
233
Southern Maine
Master of Smoke said:
Was the timer hooked-up to stove's t'stat terminals?

If it was...how would the t'stat have worked any better?

Or, did you put timer on 115 volt stove cord?...That would explain it!

Timer would only work on same t'stat connections...and not remove all power to stove.

What Hoss has suggested above should work for OP...it would idle stove at bed time throughout night until the next call for heat in AM.

Thanks that makes sense !
The manual did not state where to put timer, so I used external timer
to put stove into. Yep, thats where the trouble began with smoke in the house.

What kind of timer would connect to the t"stat terminals ?
 

rad3110

New Member
Oct 11, 2007
120
Long Island NY
Thanks for the input. I think im going to have to pass on the timer idea. Its a shame because over time i could have saved a ton of pellets. Ill make one of my summer projects hooking up t-stat
 

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
89,475
South Puget Sound, WA
Put it on a battery operated, digital programable thermostat. We ran our Quad on one for years. It was great waking up to a warm, pellet-heated house. The stat was set to 63 at night and 68 during the day. It switched over about 6am so that the house was starting to get cozy by 6:30am. I used a Lux 1500 model, but any millivolt thermostat should work. You may need to adjust the temp swing so that the unit doesn't short cycle, but this is no big deal. The setting is explained in the thermostat instructions. Remove the jumper on the stove's control board, then hook it up to the thermostat and be happy.

http://www.luxproducts.com/thermostats/tx1500e.htm
 

cncpro

New Member
Jun 29, 2008
341
NE Connecticut, USA
BeGreen said:
Put it on a battery operated, digital programable thermostat. We ran our Quad on one for years. It was great waking up to a warm, pellet-heated house. The stat was set to 63 at night and 68 during the day. It switched over about 6am so that the house was starting to get cozy by 6:30am. I used a Lux 1500 model, but any millivolt thermostat should work. You may need to adjust the temp swing so that the unit doesn't short cycle, but this is no big deal. The setting is explained in the thermostat instructions. Remove the jumper on the stove's control board, then hook it up to the thermostat and be happy.

http://www.luxproducts.com/thermostats/tx1500e.htm

I've noted lots of Lux users talk about a "swing" setting. That sounds perfect for pellet stoves.

My Honeywell allows me to make a similar adjustment by limiting the number of cycles per hour but given the the choice between the Lux or the Honeywell I'll try the Lux next time.

In my opinion a programmable wall mounted thermostat is the only way to go. It's so nice to wake up and have the house already toasty and fully "recovered" from the overnight setback.
 

drizler

Minister of Fire
Nov 20, 2005
1,004
Chazy, NY 12921
The only time I can see a real need for a timer would be during the shoulder months like April and November ect. Idling on low the average stove is kicking out only 8 - 10 K btus which is just enough to keep things from going dead cold most of the time. A setback thermostat should do that for you and let you kick up the heat for morning for you. Just using a thermostat made a huge difference in pellet / corn consumption for me.` I would try a setback thermostat if you don't already have one first and see how that goes for you.
 

drizler

Minister of Fire
Nov 20, 2005
1,004
Chazy, NY 12921
Most furnace stats are 24 volt. Many stoves operate off the same units, any one will do. Some like my Countryside use a millivolt stat and if you hook up one of those stove to a 24 v it just won't work. Check your manual so you make sure to get the right type. You might want to get one that is internally lit. I didn't get one and find it would have been nice for making changes other than the set up programs being run.
 

lmjr

Member
Feb 16, 2010
184
Corners of PA-OH-WV
rad said:
by setback you mean 24 milivolt programable?

You are mixing the 2 different stats...there are millivolt stats and there are 24 volt stats...not 24 millivolt.

But, yes, programmable = set-back stat.

Side note: Some stats are dual purpose and are selectable for either 24 volt or for millivolt...Some, but many are NOT dual purpose.

As mentioned...refer to your stoves manual to determine your stoves particular stat requirement.

Millivolt stats are common w/ gas and oil appliances, where as 24 volt is standard for like heat-pumps and other electric fueled appliances.

Pellet stoves can be either...depending on mfg., it just needs to match the stoves on-board controls to be compatible.

Millivolt will not power the light...stats are available w/ battery to provide back light in these.

Added feature of any stat w/ battery...you can remove stat from it's fixed wall base location and do your custom programming in the comfort of your armchair.

Basicly you are replacing your stat jumper w/ a fancy switching device.
 

lmjr

Member
Feb 16, 2010
184
Corners of PA-OH-WV
rad said:
well my stove is the englander summer heat 1500 manufactured late 2009. a push in the right direction would be apppreciated

Yours is 24 volt...but you should go to Englander's website...there's a tech bulletin w/ great info and pictures on the subject.

You can even download your manual to your hard drive there.
 

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
89,475
South Puget Sound, WA
Basically the typical thermostat is either powered by a 24v transformer on the furnace/boiler or independently powered. Both operate as milivolt units. There are also high-voltage thermostats for electric heaters. You don't want that type.

For a pellet stove that has an automatic igniter, you want an independently powered thermostat. There is no transformer power for the thermostat on the pellet stoves I have seen. The Lux units are self powered and use AA batteries which go a couple years with good quality batteries.

Rad, I'm confused about the stove model, previously it was listed as "Summers Heat 55SHP10 is the model I have."
 

rad3110

New Member
Oct 11, 2007
120
Long Island NY
yup that is the model i have 55SHP10 summer heat manufactured after 06-09. I now understand what you mean about line voltage and bell voltage. step down transformers etc. Independant 24 millivolt, battery operated is the way to go.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.