Pellet stove vent near propane standby whole house generator

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tj200

Nov 10, 2013
Upstate NY
Hey Guys,

I have been cruising around on this forum and looking for answers but I am unable to come up with the following. I purchased an englander 1500 sq ft pellet stove. My house is only 1200 sq ft. I am putting this in my living room. I have already built the hearth pad. I have read all instructions and since I will be going between 2 windows I will be about 2' from one and 10' from the other and plan on the vent going 1' above the window. I plan on using the duravent 3" through the wall. I also plan on using the supplied OAK. However in the instructions all it says is stay away from the propane tanks minimally 10'. I am going to be 15' ish. I plan on punching through the wall about the same location as my generator. The termination will be 12' above the exhaust of the generator with the vent kit. Where should I place this OAK? I am assuming it should be far enough from the exhaust of the generator. I am stumped. I guess I could always put my generator in manual mode and only use it if I am not using the pellet stove. If you guys could give me some guidance I would appreciate it.

-Tim

Depending on your generator it may be easier to "move" the exhaust termination on your generator. I simply took a 6" flexible duct and aimed my exhaust away for safety reasons, my neighbor's pitied theirs away.

As far as the OAK goes, if you're worried about sucking in the exhaust fumes from the generator, the OAK air is used internally in the stove and doesn't vent to your house if the outside air path is sealed. Now my Quads are not a sealed system by any stretch so it could be a problem for me but propane is supposed to burn very cleanly so it shouldn't be a problem.
During the heat of summer, the propane tank will vent gas but, of course, you won't be running the stove then. Since you're 50% farther away from the tank than the minimum, it doesn't sound like you have a problem.

Typically generator manuals state they need to be placed 5' min from any opening in the house and 10' min from any furnace or similar intake. See if you have yours and what is states in the placement diagram. Too close can actually lead to "re-burn" where the exhaust gasses of the generator are sucked into the appliance (furnace, pellet or other) intake and burned with less efficiency because there is less oxygen in the exhaust gasses being sucked through the stove. If you have good air flow around the generator this should not be a likely factor, but if it's in a corner or dead air space it's a real possibility.

Thank you guys for the replies. I am going to see if I can extend this OAK to go up higher. I am also looking into professional quotes to do the job. I was totally stumped by this. I was close to just having it vent through the roof since I could not find any info on it. However it looks horrible with the vent pipe inside the house.

Okay guys, I returned all of my vent parts and I got the selkirk direct temp pellet vent system. Are the measurements from the center of the pipe? Like it has to be 12" above the window. Does that mean from the center of the exhaust? Also do I have to use the wall thimble black piece? Or can I just use the larger side inside and the smaller piece of the thimble outside?

Thank you guys for all of the help. Here is a pic of the install. It only took an afternoon with my Dads help. The direct-temp setup is top notch.

Reactions: Madcodger
Status
Not open for further replies.