Pellet Stove Venting - existing fireplace non-brick

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

chrisnack

Nov 3, 2023
Wisconsin
Hi, lots of good info on here, but i haven't found the answer yet i was looking for.

We have an existing fireplace install, our chimney is not brick, it's rigid pipe which i assume is insulated since it's a wood burning fire place, believe it is 9" diameter.

I see most people are running 4" flexible stainless inside of brick chimneys etc. Can i not just hook up the pellet stove to the existing pipe, essentially adapting from the 4" to the 9" or do i need to run a 4" all the way for some sort of pressure reason?

Just trying to figure out if i really need to spend $800 or so on the 4" piping when i have a an existing chimney pipe that is rated higher technically.

As for the install, i'm gutting the fireplace unit and will be create a new cavity with cementboard/tile for the pellet insert to install into so that I can get the unit flush with our hearth, instead of being up 6".

Picure attached of existing fireplace we are removing to put the pellet stove (probably an enviro m55c).

IMG_7586.jpg

Hi, lots of good info on here, but i haven't found the answer yet i was looking for.

We have an existing fireplace install, our chimney is not brick, it's rigid pipe which i assume is insulated since it's a wood burning fire place, believe it is 9" diameter.

I see most people are running 4" flexible stainless inside of brick chimneys etc. Can i not just hook up the pellet stove to the existing pipe, essentially adapting from the 4" to the 9" or do i need to run a 4" all the way for some sort of pressure reason?

Just trying to figure out if i really need to spend $800 or so on the 4" piping when i have a an existing chimney pipe that is rated higher technically.

As for the install, i'm gutting the fireplace unit and will be create a new cavity with cementboard/tile for the pellet insert to install into so that I can get the unit flush with our hearth, instead of being up 6".

Picure attached of existing fireplace we are removing to put the pellet stove (probably an enviro m55c).

View attachment 317965
That stove clearly says unit must be installed in a masonry fireplace. You done have a masonry fireplace therefore it can't be used

Not true actually, page 23 of manual details the built-in installation.
You are correct my apologies I stopped reading the manual when I saw that statement. But once you remove your fireplace there will be nothing supporting that chimney so it has to come out as well. The manual shows several options of how to vent you need to use one of them

Just to provide an update for anyone that finds this. I ended up going the route of completely removing the existing fireplace unit and chimney piping and framed out a new cavity with cement board and a lower firebox space covered by tile as instructed in the manual. I have my new Enviro M55 stove, but i'm still waiting on my Duravent Pro piping to show up, been on order for a few weeks.

Here's a few pics of the process, old firebox partially removed, then all gone and before cleanup, then framed out and finally with cement board and tile laid. The lower portion/floor has a 1.5" airspace with steel studs under the tile with double cement board. Which is what the manual called for.

I will have a fresh air intake, but i didn't want to cut that hole until everything showed up, but will be on the back right corner.

MicrosoftTeams-image (8).jpg MicrosoftTeams-image (7).jpg MicrosoftTeams-image (6).jpg MicrosoftTeams-image (5).jpg