Pellet stove venting toward neighbor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mury

Jun 20, 2008
NH
I live in a city and am installing a pellet stove this summer. My neighbors house is only about 10 feet away from mine. I would like to do a horizontal vent because it is easiest but don't want to upset the neighbor by having a chimney coming at them. Other options would be vertical vent inside so exit on outside of house is higher, or vertical vent all the way to the roof which would be expensive. Has anyone been in this situation? We only own a couple of feet of land on that side of the house and unfortunately there is no way to install on other side of house. It's a new-englander style house, narrow and deep. Thanks for your input!

Spend the extra money for the vertical vent. The stove will work better, especially if the power goes out unexpectedly. Good relations with neighbors can be priceless.

Check with the building code and see what is the min amount off feet from a neighboring house or property line, and also with the requirements with the stove manufacture it should be in the install directions. mine is separated by a 12 ft wide drive way and if you stand in my neighbors yard you do not smell anything.

BXpellet said:
Check with the building code and see what is the min amount off feet from a neighboring house or property line, and also with the requirements with the stove manufacture it should be in the install directions. mine is separated by a 12 ft wide drive way and if you stand in my neighbors yard you do not smell anything.

http://www.nfpa.org/aboutthecodes/AboutTheCodes.asp?DocNum=211

click the link , agree to terms, and open the 2006 version of the code , its free to read but you cannot print or copy it. you can purchase it but unless you do this for a living just reading is nice for free.

para 10.4.5 of this code will tell you what is allowable with a mechanical draft (such as a pellet stove) this is the part which you questioned.

hope this helps ya, ask questions if i can help you further.

Thanks for the help! I had read on some sites that vertical is better, but the stove manual says "To achieve optimum performance, we recommend keeping the vent as short as possible (horizontal run especially)." Which is correct? If we go vertical, we would end up with 2 90 degree bends and about 12 vertical feet (broken in two parts).

Defiantly better off with the longer and vertical pipe. Because if you have a power failure the heated chimney will "draw" and pull the smoke out of the stove. Otherwise most of the time the smoke will take the path of least resistance which is into your house.

A decent amount of smoke can exit a pellet stove vent when starting and when refreshing the fire at certain times. It might just bug your neighbor if it seeps into his house through windows, soffits, attic, etc.

10 feet is very close considering that the vent usually sticks out (a 45 degree or so) a foot or more, and then the fan pushes the exhaust out even further. It might end up disturbing you as much as them....

When your stove starts to get dirty between cleanings it will push alot of smoke out during ignition..........
I've had my stove blow out smoke continueous for 45 seconds about 7 feet...... When it was dirty.
Best to go up like others have said....
a link to venting
http://www.duravent.com/docs/instruct/L502_aug05.pdf

Also consider that your current 10' has some value for walking or parking a car. If you stick a pipe in there then you will be chopping up this piece of realestate and limiting its use.

I would go up 100%, or out and then up through the eve.

Status
Not open for further replies.