Pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Very loaded question. What's they layout? What's the insulation like, are you wanting to heat the whole house or use something else to supplement heat. Alot of times unfortunately, it's really hard to tell how air moves around in a given home.

Very loaded question. What's they layout? What's the insulation like, are you wanting to heat the whole house or use something else to supplement heat. Alot of times unfortunately, it's really hard to tell how air moves around in a given home.
Kitchen, living room, sunroom, playroom on main floor, all separated by walls. 3 bedrooms, one bath upstairs. Have oil furnace and baseboard heaters. Good insulation. Sunroom is all classed in.

I've read enough on this forum from people in similar situations to know that you need to keep your expectations down a bit as far as heating the whole house. I got pretty fortunate and have been able to but I have a pretty open floor plan rambler and live in a pretty moderate area (pacific northwest). I've seen a few people get two smaller stoves for each floor and obviously there are some who are able to heat there 2 story house with one unit but air flow can be very tricky.

The big thing to remember is that a STOVE is a space heater
not a central heating system . Some people do well heating the whole house
others like me still use the central heat if only to supplement the stove .
When it gets below 0::C I really like my wood furnace it keeps the house at 21::C
and she who must be obeyed very happy

Last edited:
Reactions: Ssyko