Pellets available in Southeastern PA?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
will711 said:
slvrblkk said:
will711 said:
slvrblkk said:
will711 said:
Pelletfisky" date="1328874575 said:
Got an email today from Turman and they state that Hinton and Sons in Wind Gap carries them. I may go for a ride!

That's the Cozy Barn in Wind Gap super nice folks. I just scored some Great Americans for $3.90/ bag awesome price.

How are the GAP's burning for you? Mixed reviews this season on those.

Only had one issue, there was a bad batch[ that they are aware of and have made good on by exchanging bags] had longer than normal pellets caused a bridge in the hopper. Great heat , no clinkers GAP's are all I've burned this season accept for 3 bags of Barefoot's from last years stash.

I'm sold on them. They seem like a stand up company they knew they had a bad batch and made it right. I like they fact that they are local with the cost of fuel going UP that may be a bonus for us.If it costs more for the pellet house's for trucking those costs will be passed on to us the end user.

I tried a couple bags last year but they just burned ok in my old stove. So far my new stove burns everything very well so far. I'm gonna pick up a few bags at the Cozy Barn to try. I'm also picking up some Turman. They are, hands down, the best pellet I think I've ever burned.

I forgot you got a new stove congrats. Not sure what the Turman's cost when I was there in December they had Hammer's but, the price was almost $6.00/bag ouch! Was speaking with one of the owners they committed to X amount of trailers for this year but probably won't be carrying them next season just to expensive.

Thanks! I "think" they charged my $5 a bag for Turman and Hamer...I did pay cash though....the Hamer burned good but had way more ash than the Turman.....

PerfectaDude said:
There is a wood flooring place on 248 between 946 and 145 that usually has some different brands, not sure what they have right now I don't get up that way much. Cozy Barn is great too, don't get up that way too much either. With pellets so readily available and a Lowes a couple miles away coupled with the mild winter I just saw no need to travel too far for pellets or buy large quantities. I find not having tons laying around keeps me from doing the same. Hardware store (now a mill?) on 191 just past Hanoverville Rd. usually has Allegheny (Woodpecker on the bag) but I did not like those pellets, too many longs jammed my auger all the time.

Thanks for the info. I don't have large quantities either only have room for a ton. I didn't buy from the big box stores this year when they were cheap early season no room for them, then price jump more than GAP's plus they didn't have any brands that I was excited to try based upon reviews here. Not only that you have to load them yourself at the Cozy Barn they help you and it's right on my way home from work.

will711 said:
slvrblkk said:
will711 said:
Pelletfisky said:
Got an email today from Turman and they state that Hinton and Sons in Wind Gap carries them. I may go for a ride!

That's the Cozy Barn in Wind Gap super nice folks. I just scored some Great Americans for $3.90/ bag awesome price.

Only had one issue, there was a bad batch[ that they are aware of and have made good on by exchanging bags] had longer than normal pellets caused a bridge in the hopper. Great heat , no clinkers GAP's are all I've burned this season accept for 3 bags of Barefoot's from last years stash.

I'm sold on them. They seem like a stand up company they knew they had a bad batch and made it right. I like they fact that they are local with the cost of fuel going UP that may be a bonus for us.If it costs more for the pellet house's for trucking those costs will be passed on to us the end user.

Do you happen to have a batch number for those bad ones or know around when they were out? I had gotten some GAPS from Wood Heat in Easton, wasn't that impressed, perhaps they were part of the bad batch. I suspect they might have been because when I went back for more they had some other brand, C&C Smith or something like that.

PerfectaDude said:
will711 said:
slvrblkk said:
will711 said:
Pelletfisky said:

Do you happen to have a batch number for those bad ones or know around when they were out? I had gotten some GAPS from Wood Heat in Easton, wasn't that impressed, perhaps they were part of the bad batch. I suspect they might have been because when I went back for more they had some other brand, C&C Smith or something like that.

No I don't have a batch #, but they were purchased in Nov./ Dec. 2011 total of 30 bags. I did notice that some of the pellets were longer than normal. Didn't think too much of it until the bridge issue because my Harman [ham sammich] usually eats anything I put in the hopper, it only happen one time.
The last 30 bags I got no long pellets, I would not hesitate to try them again.

PerfectaDude said:

I got some bad bags of of the C&C`s from Wood Heat in Quakertown. I pre-bought 3 tons and picked up 30-40 bags at a time. Of the first batch, the first 15 bags or so were awful - TONS of fines, and they just burned dirty. When I went back on my next trip, I complained and told them I wanted the GAP's or something else. But they told me they were out of the GAP's and all they had were C&C's. They insist the C&C`s are better and they charge more for them than the GAP's.

So I got my balance of the 3 tons in C&C`s and I've burned another 25 bags since and they have been great. Only complaint is some long pellets here and there.

If by some miracle the rest of the winter is brutally cold and I burn through the 2+ tons I still have left, I'll be going up there again to get more pellets because I have a credit with them that would get me at least 1/2 ton. If they have GAP's, I am going to get some.

I just saw some Liberty pellets for 3.98/bag at Lowes. Are they any good? They also have Green Supreme's for 3.98/bag

slvrblkk said:
mepellet said:
Aren't Greene teams made in pa?

Yes they are...A flooring place near me just got a shipment in...as soon as I drive by I'm going to pick up a few bags to try....

Greene Gold (made by Greene Team in PA) are good pellets, I've been using them (and Hamers) for the past several years. The Greene Gold are the super premium pellets. I know they make Greene Team, Greene Gold, and Greene Team Platnium - not sure how much difference there is between them since the only ones that are available locally are the Greene Gold.

bcb1 said:
slvrblkk said:
mepellet said:

Yes they are...A flooring place near me just got a shipment in...as soon as I drive by I'm going to pick up a few bags to try....

Greene Gold (made by Greene Team in PA) are good pellets, I've been using them (and Hamers) for the past several years. The Greene Gold are the super premium pellets. I know they make Greene Team, Greene Gold, and Greene Team Platnium - not sure how much difference there is between them since the only ones that are available locally are the Greene Gold.

According to Robbie at GT, there is no difference.

Reason I ask about Lignetics was I was reading some stuff online that says that they now put softwood cedar in the mix now and some people were say they were terrible I think the label was blue. Store near me has Lignetics for 219.00 a ton right now. i am not sure of the label I need to stop in and check the bags out.

mepellet said:
bcb1 said:
slvrblkk said:
mepellet said:

Greene Team Platinum have replaced the Greene Teams. Whats out there now is old stock all the new stuff will be Greene Team Platinum so I'm told.

j-takeman said:
mepellet said:
bcb1 said:
slvrblkk said:
mepellet said:

Greene Team Platinum have replaced the Greene Teams. Whats out there now is old stock all the new stuff will be Greene Team Platinum so I'm told.

Same pellet, new name (and bag)? I am pretty certain that I picked up the Greene Team Platinum's this weekend. Had a choice between those and one of the Lignetics and decided to give the GT's a try. I've burned both the green and blue label Lignetics and they burned fine. Just dumped my first bag of GT's in last night.

Had a bunch of running around to do today, so I priced some local pellet prices.

Lowes in Whitehall pa has Green Supremes for $4.87 per bag / $4.38 per bag if buying a ton ($219 per ton)
Home Depot in Whitehall pa has Stove Chow for $4.87 per bag / $4.18 per bag if buying a ton ($209 per ton)
Cozy Barn in Wind Gap pa had Great American Pellets for $3.90 a bag / $195 a ton

I grabbed a dozen bags of GAP to try out, might grab some trial bags of stove chow later this week.
Going to try and check out a few other places later this week. I'll post here if I do.

Madhatter said:
Had a bunch of running around to do today, so I priced some local pellet prices.

Lowes in Whitehall pa has Green Supremes for $4.87 per bag / $4.38 per bag if buying a ton ($219 per ton)
Home Depot in Whitehall pa has Stove Chow for $4.87 per bag / $4.18 per bag if buying a ton ($209 per ton)
Cozy Barn in Wind Gap pa had Great American Pellets for $3.90 a bag / $195 a ton

I grabbed a dozen bags of GAP to try out, might grab some trial bags of stove chow later this week.
Going to try and check out a few other places later this week. I'll post here if I do.

Thanks for the update....Lowes in Bethlehem had about 8 pallets of Green Supremes and a pallet of Freedom Fuel....I almost think that pallet of FF was sitting lost in a warehouse somewhere...lol

Went to my favorite farm store (Nazareth TSC) to pickup some Liggies, no pellets to be had. Went down the road a bit to Wood Heat hoping to grab some GAPs, no luck, had to overpay for Wood Pellet Co. (C&C Smith)

PerfectaDude said:
Went to my favorite farm store (Nazareth TSC) to pickup some Liggies, no pellets to be had. Went down the road a bit to Wood Heat hoping to grab some GAPs, no luck, had to overpay for Wood Pellet Co. (C&C Smith)

Let me know how you like them. Other than a few bags I've picked up at Lowes of some other brands, that is all I am burning. I'd like to see what I could get them for in the offseason. I think they could be my shoulder pellet for next year. Ultimately, I want to get some of those fancy Turmans or Barefoots. Heck, if I could swing it even some of those magical softwoods. ;)

PerfectaDude said:

Looks like you are in Northampton County area farm supply store near me just got a trailer load of lignetics in-- Lebanon County

Quakertown TSC had the Lignetics (green Label) a few weeks ago for 219/ton. I have been using the Green labeled Lignetics for the shoulder season, and Hamers for the cold times, which there really haven't been many so far. I would like to try some bearfoots or turmans but I have a tough time justifying paying more than $250/ton.

Was up in Q-Town this morning, picked up a few bags of Cheat River @ TSC. $4.69/bag $224/ton.

On the way back down I stopped by Wehrung's on Route 611 and they had GAP's for $6.79 a bag. :eek:hh:

PerfectaDude said:

They now have Lig's and Cheat River....just called....didn't get a price on them though.....

Status
Not open for further replies.