Pellets falling outside burn box

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LuvdaAF

Feb 7, 2015
Maryland
This year the pellets have started falling outside the burn box. No, the burn box isn't filling up and they are falling over, literally some fall in and others fall outside. This is creating a secondary fire in the ash pan. While the fire isn't big, it's an odd thing occurring and I don't have a clue of how to resolve. Any ideas?

Welcome to the site.
If you fill in the signature with a couple details like stove make and model, others with like kind can offer tips on they may have tweaked the stove to prevent the issue. Pellet brand may be the issue too. Jumping Jack brand:)

Not knowing what you have typically the stove needs a good cleaning. Clean the exhaust path as well.

My stove is a Greenfire GF55. I'm using the same pellets as last year, and in fact this didn't start until after I had burned several hoppers of pellets. I did have the stove completely cleaned at last season, and the folks who came out and looked at it cleaned it again (everything including the exhaust). I did find a, what I would call a spacer/washer in the burn pan. Approximate 1 1/2" OD and 13/16" ID. I've adjusted the feed rate and nothing has changed the effect. I'm pretty technically inclined, but I just can't figure this one out. It almost seems as either the fire box outer edge (edge farthest from pellet dispenser whole) is too short, or the pellets are falling too fast. The guy who came out to look at it suggested that the pellets where too small and that is why they were falling further. Same manufacture with these pellets being from the same manufactured year. I attached a picture so that you can see what I'm seeing. In the picture you can clearly see the firebox (bright flame) then outside you can see some small flames. By the end of the day I have a large dark spot on the glass where you can barely see the flame.

Attachments

• IMG_1598.JPG
    IMG_1598.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 229
My stove is a Greenfire GF55. I'm using the same pellets as last year, and in fact this didn't start until after I had burned several hoppers of pellets. I did have the stove completely cleaned at last season, and the folks who came out and looked at it cleaned it again (everything including the exhaust). I did find a, what I would call a spacer/washer in the burn pan. Approximate 1 1/2" OD and 13/16" ID. I've adjusted the feed rate and nothing has changed the effect. I'm pretty technically inclined, but I just can't figure this one out. It almost seems as either the fire box outer edge (edge farthest from pellet dispenser whole) is too short, or the pellets are falling too fast. The guy who came out to look at it suggested that the pellets where too small and that is why they were falling further. Same manufacture with these pellets being from the same manufactured year. I attached a picture so that you can see what I'm seeing. In the picture you can clearly see the firebox (bright flame) then outside you can see some small flames. By the end of the day I have a large dark spot on the glass where you can barely see the flame.
Pellet size can make a difference.

Was the wsher part of the stove or did it come in with pellets?
Could the washer have been attached to the end of the auger as a support or a deflector to "guide" the pellets toward the burn pot? Any marks on the washer that indicate it had been welded at some point or marks indicating it was feed thru the auger. If you can see the auger could the washer fit thru with out binding?

I cleaned my Hastings yesterday really good - banging on the top of it while vacuuming out the air fins and air passages. Started the stove up and that exact same thing started happening, except the pellets were in front of the fire box and that is where the secondary fire was (right next to the door glass). Didn't matter if it was at setting 3 or 1 either. Turns out my damper had closed itself most the way while I was banging on the stove, and opening it back up some solved the problem. Don't know if it was because the pellets weren't burning as fast so pellets were hitting and jumping out.

May or may not help you, but something for to check anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.