Pellets feeding to fast

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Luckyksc

Sep 28, 2013
I have a 1994 Brickwell P24FS. We have lived in the house for 4 years. It was professionally cleaned 1 year ago and we clean it weekly as well as a full, take the panels off, etc. and clean everything cleaning quarterly. In the last 2 months, sometimes (20% of the time) when we move the setting from high to low, the feeder will run continuously without stop and will over flow the bowl and cause a large fire outside the bowl. I have taken to watching it to check and I can hear the feeder running non-stop and see pellets dumping in to the bowl. If I turn it off and back on, it will go back to normal feeding. Sometimes (5% of the time) when the fire is on low, it will just start to feed pellets continuously without stop randomly. We are not sure what is causing this and since hardly anyone in our city or part of the state has a pellet stove, there are not many repair people. Any thoughts on what is causing this?

does the control board have knobs and slide switches or the touch pad? Or you could post a pic of it

Here is a picture of it

Attachments

• 15162352555562000722387.jpg
    15162352555562000722387.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 92
Your description sounds like the potentiometer (knob/dial)may be dirty or just plain wore out. You could try unplug the stove and pull the control out. Remove the knob. Using an electrical contact cleaner (CRC makes a good one)https://www.autobarn.net/crc-electr...xSAUuQ_3XF2KfPxfvWA4WIynfajY9XNBoCTzMQAvD_BwE
Spray it down the shaft and the back side and turn it back an forth while spraying. Clean all your switches and then let it dry out for a little while. Reinstall and see if it helped. Let us know how you make out

So yesterday my husband took out the panel and cleaned it with the circuit board cleaner. He also lubed the fan and vacuumed as much dust as he could. He put it back together and it worked. Then the next morning, the feeder won't turn on and the fan just blows very gently and the switch to make the fan speed go up or down does not work at all.

Im thinking your board is probably just plain wore out. You might be able to upgrade the board, a call to ussc(owners of breckwell now) might be able to tell you for sure.

Update: We ended up sending the circuit board to www.stove-parts-unlimited.com to be fixed since buying a new one is very, very expensive. They were very helpful. We just got the board back today and it works. We put it in the stove and everything is running great. However, this stove is very old and since no one around here fixes these things anymore, we no longer trust that we can leave the house without it over flowing, we have to manually start the thing every single morning and evening, and stacking pellet bags and hauling them in the house is not super fun, we have decided to get a ductless heat pump and no longer rely on the stove for our main source of heat in the great room. Electricity is very cheap in in the pacific northwest. Thanks for your help and I hope that this thread may help someone else.