Pellets in the SouthEast

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tjnamtiw

Minister of Fire
Hi all,
Believe it or not, it gets cold in North Georgia! I've been seriously considering two pellet inserts to replace my wood inserts but, obviously, there's no supply at all of pellets down here. Like many here, we live in small communities and have the choice of propane (very expensive) or electricity (also very expensive). I have two heat pumps and they don't work at all when the temps are 45 down to 10 degrees, hence the wood stoves. I'm getting too old to cut, stack and hassle with the constant hauling, feeding and cleaning of the wood stoves.
That's why the pellet stoves make so much sense but fuel is non-existent. Any ideas when pellet stoves/fuel will move south? We need it too. Two pellet plants are starting up in Georgia where there is an abundance of trees but ALL product is going overseas!!!

Tom

Here's a wood pellet manufacturer that says they have plants in VA and GA. They also say they ship throughout the US. Click on Contact or Dealer Info to see if they have someone that sells wood pellets near you. Maybe one of the places on the second link sells wood pellet stoves somewhere near you. They might also be able to tell you where you could get wood pellets at. You could also look on your local craigslist to see if someone is selling there stove (or insert) used.

http://bigheatfuelpellets.com/index.htm
http://www.stovedealersusa.com/georgiawoodpelletstove.htm

My first two tons were made in AL, natures earth pellets, 125 21st avenue sw, reform AL 35481 800-749-PINE. This was what my local HD had up here in NH.

tjnamtiw said:
Hi all,
Believe it or not, it gets cold in North Georgia! I've been seriously considering two pellet inserts to replace my wood inserts but, obviously, there's no supply at all of pellets down here. Like many here, we live in small communities and have the choice of propane (very expensive) or electricity (also very expensive). I have two heat pumps and they don't work at all when the temps are 45 down to 10 degrees, hence the wood stoves. I'm getting too old to cut, stack and hassle with the constant hauling, feeding and cleaning of the wood stoves.
That's why the pellet stoves make so much sense but fuel is non-existent. Any ideas when pellet stoves/fuel will move south? We need it too. Two pellet plants are starting up in Georgia where there is an abundance of trees but ALL product is going overseas!!!

Tom

Hi Tom: I used to live in Gwinnett Cnty...Great area at the time. Lots of fun at Stone Mtn.

I think the Freedom Fuel pellet brand is from AL. and the one pellet brand I tried are from GA. They were the Appling County Pellets. Try them before you buy bulk. Maybe they will burn better down there in the south -lol.

Hey, wow! Thanks to all who replied and for the sources.
I went to the local Harman dealer over in SC (around here 'local' means within 50 miles) and he wanted $8 a bag for pellets but he might be able to give me a better price.......................... No one was there who knew anything about the stoves or pellets though. I was one of three people in the store....

I'll give all those links a try and see what happens.

Thanks again.

Tom

Hi Tom: I used to live in Gwinnett Cnty...Great area at the time. Lots of fun at Stone Mtn.

I think the Freedom Fuel pellet brand is from AL. and the one pellet brand I tried are from GA. They were the Appling County Pellets. Try them before you buy bulk. Maybe they will burn better down there in the south -lol.[/quote]

Appling County (Fram) advertises $289 a ton but they aren't taking any orders. I believe they are one of the producers shipping overseas since they can get a better price, believe it or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.