Pellets Purchasing Groups. Has anyone done this? How successful?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Utilitrack

Feeling the Heat
Oct 14, 2008
Central ME
Some of my acquaintances and I are trying to put together a group to purchase a truck full of pellets. Has anyone done this in the past and how much did you save? Was it worth the hassle of drop shipping and then splitting them up?

Paid $249 per ton last year with a $20 delivery fee, very reasonable but looking into other options due to current prices. Any advice would be appreciated.
Marc

5 of us did it last year, one has a big garage and a forklift, had them dropped there, rest of us hauled from his place as we could, worked well for us. Plan on doing it again, trying now to find a deal. Good luck.

Hoss- how much do you think you saved per ton?

Kinda hard to say. We paid 224.99/ton, that was in June. By the time I got my last ton home in October, they were getting hard to find, and prices were going up.

Hoss-
Did you deal directly with pellet mill or through a dealer?

j00fek said:
you can go to athens on sat and get a truckload 24tons for 219/ton
TT

Thanks for the tip, but I am all set with that. I will not purchase "Ashens" until they have a few good years under their belts.

Status
Not open for further replies.