Dumping Amazon Prime

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I find that Amazon definitely builds in shipping on their lower cost items especially the third party items. Stuff like brake fluid and engine oil is almost always pricier than I can buy locally.

The bummer is most of the big distributors business model is to give discounts to contractors so if someone walks in off the street with cash they charge full price. The mill I used to work for used Fastenal for a few years for "everything". Fastenal had a local store that serviced our account and even though it was quality stuff, like Grainger, the counter prices to the walk in public were marked full retail. The mill had a negotiated discount in the 30 or 40% range with Fastenal but unlike Grainger, an employee could not do a cash sale on the mill account. One of our electrical engineers was an electrician on the side and he had the mills discount on his account. He got 40% off the list at the counter so I usually bought him lunch and still made out well ahead.

Back just out of college I had a friend that drove for NAPA all over rural Maine starting at 6 at night and going all night. He had the keys to all the stores he delivered to. He had 50% off Napa counter prices. I think they assumed that if they didn't give him a great discount he would just help himself as at most of these stores, he had the keys to the entire store. No cage or loading dock bay, just the keys to the back door. Kind of creepy going into a store in rural town that rolled up the sidewalks at night. He had a big flashlight that could serve as club and plenty of lights on the truck to light things up.

Last edited:
Reactions: SpaceBus
I just let my Prime renew. I live in a small town and a lot of times the local places jack the prices so high it is just ridiculous. Also, being female, they try to take advantage (especially for lumber and drywall - warped and torn up). Pretty sad that I would rather drive to HD or Lowes, 35 miles away to get lumber than deal with the crap the local lumber yards try to foist up on me for higher prices.

If I need something "right now" then I will go to the local hardware store. If I need it in a couple of days, I will get it from Amazon. If I can wait, then it goes on my list of things to get when I go to the "big city" (every couple of weeks) unless I can get the exact same thing cheaper thru Amazon. And of course there are plenty of things I can't find except thru someplace like Amazon.

I find that Amazon definitely builds in shipping on their lower cost items especially the third party items. Stuff like brake fluid and engine oil is almost always pricier than I can buy locally.
Yes, I've been noticing this over the last 10-12 years, especially. Amazon is almost never the lowest price on items under say... $75? You're paying for the time and cost savings of making a trip to the store, yourself. I'm perfectly fine with that. I have found they do better on items over $100, and they're usually among the lowest price on items over $200.

Anything over $25 is free shipping for anyone on Amazon and I think $5.99 flat rate for anything under $25. I take the $139.95 yearly fee and divide by $5.99 and that is 23 deliveries per year before I break even on less than $25 orders. For me I think two orders a month is plenty and by combining orders to go over $25 its not an issue. They are convenient as heck but since I do not actively use much of their other Prime freebies, it does not make sense for me and will hopefully tame my online spending. The media was talking that Amazon is actively looking at adding free or low cost mobile phone service to Prime, if they do so I will take a look at it again with no apparent penalty to rejoin. Now if they could cut my internet service cost that would be another worth a look as currently I am held hostage to Spectrum and their bait and switch introductory fees. Given that Bezos hasn't even started launching his Starlink alternative my guess is it going to be several years if ever.

This whole subscription based economy is annoying, the merchants know everyone's lives are complex and for most people its easy to miss a renewal date and automatically renew. My feeling is it should be the alternative, renewals are canceled unless the subscriber directly requests it.

Last edited:
Shipping is free without prime if you spend $25 or more but it's not 1-2 day shipping like you get with prime, it's 5-8 day shipping.

Interesting. My brother is not a prime user but occassionally has packages sent to my address and the delivery time is about the same as with Prime. Unless Amazon keys Prime benefits to my adress somehow for his orders I do not see a difference but definitely will keep an eye on it.

I remember when pay tv came on,no commercials .now you pay to watch commercials and three stations.quite a shaft for the great price of 140 bucks.or pay for a shatload of stations to watch one program on each .WHAT A DEAL !!!

got rid of most all subscription services, just the internet and land line from spectrum and cell service from a 3rd party. At one time i was using ATT for all but got tired of all the jacking around and insane price gouging.

Shipping is free without prime if you spend $25 or more but it's not 1-2 day shipping like you get with prime, it's 5-8 day shipping.
I just ordered a new shaver from Walmart. It's not available locally and the price was a little better than Amazon. Even though I am not a subscriber, it was delivered for free in 2 days. And it was delivered on a Sunday!

Reactions: Ashful
I just ordered a new shaver from Walmart. It's not available locally and the price was a little better than Amazon. Even though I am not a subscriber, it was delivered for free in 2 days. And it was delivered on a Sunday!
Yeah, I've been buying a few more things from Walmart recently, for the same reasons. It appears many others are doing the same.

This is going to be an interesting business battle, over the next few years, as Walmart online services have been stealing more and more of what was at least briefly Amazon's sole domain.

One thing I really like about Amazon is no push-back on returns, exchanges, or price corrections. Every time I have contacted them about anything, it has been resolved to or beyond my expectations. I guess I can't say how that would go with Walmart, but I anticipate disappointment, in that area.

One thing I like about Amazon is Amazon Warehouse, no need for membership and the vast majority of the stuff is brand new with damaged packaging. Same guarantee and return policy. Not everything is a deal as they allow third parties to sell on it but out of many orders, I only had one that got returned. Its usually 20% off and takes a minute to check.

On the other hand I needed a 6 gauge 4 conductor 50 foot long extension cord for my solar trailer and got it for considerably less on Walmart.com, same brand and model number.

I almost did an Amazon non prime order today. Yes shipping over $25 was free for standard shipping but there seems to be a handling fee that did not go away. I ended up going on Ebay and picking up the same item with free shipping.

I have done several orders of late through Amazon without Prime, I did not pay shipping once and in most cases the packages were delivered in about the same time as so called " 2 day shipping". They do play games and always do a pop up offering one more week of Prime and default to 2 day shipping so that it looks like its going to cost extra to ship, but if its over $25 and regular shipping is selected, the shipping cost goes away. If I need to buy anything else, even something less than $25 its free regular shipping even though they break up the packages.

Just for the record, most of my Amazon Prime items show up next day, not 2 days. I’d guess I get nearly as many items “same day” as I do ”2 days”.

I ordered six items from Amazon yesterday, two showed up before the end of the day. Another two this morning, I think all but one will be here by the end of today.

You obviously must be close to warehouse and get deliveries by Amazon?. For me its USPS or on occasion UPS.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Living in Maine very few things from Amazon make it here in the advertised window anymore.

You obviously must be close to warehouse and get deliveries by Amazon?. For me its USPS or on occasion UPS.

I'd say 90% of my deliveries are delivered by Amazon, but I am just outside of NYC. Most come within a day with a few taking 2 days and a few taking less than a day.

You got me curious, so I did a quick search, and there are 20 Amazon locations within a 15 mile radius of my house! But I'm not sure how many of them are fulfillment centers, as the names of some of the sites are pretty crytpic (eg. "Amazon Flex and Receiving Dock"). Two are very obviously labeled "Amazon Fulfillment Center".

More than half of our deliveries come on Amazon trucks, the remainder appear to be mostly USPS followed by UPS. Fed Ex is also here every day, but I think they're mostly delivering non-Amazon stuff.

I'm about half way between Philly and Allentown, both fairly major cities by east-coast standards. Just ask Billy Joel. ;lol

We are now officially unprimed.

don't forget about returns. i ordered a computer motherboard and the company says that it will take the part back if you call them and get a return number within 7 days. when i figured out the part wasn't working i tried calling for 6 days. multiple times a day with nothing but a busy signal. so i tried emailing them. got nothing in my box saying that they got my message. so i called amazon and told them she said hold on. when she came back she said they are shipping you another board. and they said throw the non working board out. thank god for their return policy of honor it or we don't work together.

Reactions: bogieb
don't forget about returns. i ordered a computer motherboard and the company says that it will take the part back if you call them and get a return number within 7 days. when i figured out the part wasn't working i tried calling for 6 days. multiple times a day with nothing but a busy signal. so i tried emailing them. got nothing in my box saying that they got my message. so i called amazon and told them she said hold on. when she came back she said they are shipping you another board. and they said throw the non working board out. thank god for their return policy of honor it or we don't work together.

I have ordered two things in the last week from companies that I normally would not have ordered from just because Amazon enforces their return policy. Neither of them come with the 2 day delivery, but I don't need either of them that fast and they are not coming from fulfillment centers.

As an interesting aside, I got a notice for the item I ordered last night that I need to be present to take delivery.. I find this facinating because I am getting a delivery Monday, for a similar item, that is nearly 3x the cost, and UPS is just going to drop it off.

Had a reminder just now, of one of the many reasons I love Amazon. Among the 50-odd things I ordered this month was a patio table, $750. It was running late, so this morning I went on the phone app and clicked "chat with an agent", expecting to cancel and re-order the item.

The agent came on and opened with, "I see your item is running late, so I'm issuing a full refund. If it arrives in the next few days, feel free to keep it free of charge." Item price was $754.

There has never been a single case with this company, in which they did not err enormously in my favor. The last time was a pair of glass shower doors over the winter, they ended up giving to me at half price due to a similar delay / reorder scenario. They were around $1000.

An update on my experiment. For several months, ordering from Amazon without Prime worked pretty well, most orders came in few days, maybe one day delay compared to Prime. Lately Amazon seems to have introduced a delay in shipping out of the warehouses. I will order an item and will get a one week delivery estimate and if I track it, it will sit in the warehouse for several days before shipping. Once it ships, it takes about the same time to ship as when I had Prime.

The other change seems to be that Amazon seems to be having more Prime exclusive deals where they discount items for Prime members.

The final thing I noticed is the Amazon credit card does not do cash back for non Prime members.

Still not sure if its worth the annual fee as it looks like the Prime video selection is still not great.

How is a week “a one day delay”? I’m pissed on the occasions when it takes two days, instead of next day! Occasionally, I get items same day, if I order early enough in the day.