Amazon Returns

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

peakbagger

Minister of Fire
Jul 11, 2008
Northern NH
I recently bought a hitch shackle from Amazon Warehouse, what came was not a hitch shackle so I needed to return it. It was easiest to drop it off at an authorized Amazon return center. The closest one is a UPS store. I went in there and had a problem bringing up the return authorization and it took awhile to get that fixed on my cell phone. While I was waiting to get a reset, I noticed that most of the people walking in the door were doing Amazon returns. One of the workers confirmed that that was more than half their business. Quite the business model;)

I do probably a dozen Amazon item returns per year, but I'm at 153 orders so far this year, probably on track to clear 300 by end of year (always spikes with beginning of school, then holidays). With each order containing multiple items, let's say 1000 items per year, we have a return rate just over 1%. which isn't bad.

More customers are probably like my wife, receiving something that wasn't as they expected, sticking it in a closet with the intent to return, and never getting around to it. They win, in that case. Her weekly Amazon package deliveries are likely 3x - 4x higher than mine, but mine tend to be the higher-value items, while she's ordering pencils and notebooks for kids.