Pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacques909

Aug 2, 2013
Maine
Having a hard time choosing which brand of pellets I should buy for my Harman P61a. Canawick from my local farmers union $304 a ton delivered or MWP $209 from home depot with 10% off coupon plus the $65 delivery charge. Is there much difference in the quality of pellet between the two?

Having a hard time choosing which brand of pellets I should buy for my Harman P61a. Canawick from my local farmers union $304 a ton delivered or MWP $209 from home depot with 10% off coupon plus the $65 delivery charge. Is there much difference in the quality of pellet between the two?
I have the same question as you...I recently purchased a home with a Harman PB105. The previous homeowner told me he used lower grade pellets but the local pellet retail stores tell me the opposite with a 'buyer beware' notice of the increased maintenance from using lower grade pellets. Quick research produced the following options and prices: Vermont / Okinagen ($310/ton); Dry Creek/North East ($265/ton); Home Depot (Nations Choice) $219/ton; Big Y grocery (Inferno Premium) $219/ton. My head is spinning with so many to choose from...

At nearly $100 per ton difference the MWPs are a no brainer. Your Harman will burn anything. I have excellent results with MWP in my P61A.

I have the same question as you...I recently purchased a home with a Harman PB105. The previous homeowner told me he used lower grade pellets but the local pellet retail stores tell me the opposite with a 'buyer beware' notice of the increased maintenance from using lower grade pellets.........

Pellet boilers and furnaces usually have a higher tolerance for high ash fuels than a pellet stove. Many are multifuel units. Multifuels or biomass contain higher ash content then wood pellets. The cleaner the fuel used the longer the unit could be run between cleanings.

Quick research produced the following options and prices: Vermont / Okinagen ($310/ton); Dry Creek/North East ($265/ton); Home Depot (Nations Choice) $219/ton; Big Y grocery (Inferno Premium) $219/ton. My head is spinning with so many to choose from...

Nations choice and Inferno are made at the same mill. Not a lot of good reviews(if any) have been posted on either.

The quality of pellet varies just as much as the pricing. Many factors go into choosing which pellet is correct for you and your unit. We can help, But the thing we usually recommend is to try the brands that are affordable in your area. Then you can choose which might be the pellet for you.

Your Harman will burn any "PELLET".......

Fixed it for ya, Its not a multifuel unit and can't light biomass or grains like a multifuel stove. Unless its a PC45 with stirrer and pressure igniter for example. Harmans are much less picky so choosing pellets for it shouldn't be as hard as some of the other stoves brands.

Last edited:
Fixed it for ya, Its not a multifuel unit and can't light biomass or grains like a multifuel stove. Unless its a PC45 with stirrer and pressure igniter for example. Harmans are much less picky so choosing pellets for it shouldn't be as hard as some of the other stoves brands.
I assume he knows his P61a is not a multifueler....so when I said "anything" I meant pellets....but you already knew that too ....wow now you can add "semantics police" to your resume. ;) ;lol

I assume he knows his P61a is not a multifueler....so when I said "anything" I meant pellets....but you already knew that too ....wow now you can add "semantics police" to your resume. ;) ;lol

You knew it, and I knew it. But did the OP know? :p

You do know were assume can be found?

You knew it, and I knew it. But did the OP know? :p

You do know were assume can be found?
That would be the "ass" before "u" and "me"........;lol

Status
Not open for further replies.